insurance claim

lundrog

[H]ard|Gawd
My son had a snow globe fall onto his PC while I was on a business trip. crash! and it shattered. Of course it was a fractal design r2, with two top fan slots open... and the water like substance ran down onto the video card

He was running a Intel 3770K, asrock extreme 4 motherboard, 2x 8GB Crutial Ballistix sport memory, and a EVGA 680 Classified, of course with a ten year warrenty and RMA on the video card.. A antech 620 AIO water block cooler. A PC Power and Cooling 920 PSU.

So back to the question. I could use a second opinion on replacement gear. The only piece of hardware I could get working at this point was the ssd he had in it, the rest is toast, doesn't power on completely and I don't want to risk a existing system testing components.

In a insurance claim do you just fine the replacement models for each and make a list? has anyone else had to deal with this?

Since Intel changed up the CPU's a bit this time, at the time it was on the top of the current i7 lineup, so what would replace it via model number? Or do you replace it via original value?

Last time I made an estimate for somebody for an insurance claim, I priced all new parts.

Usually insurance on electronics is limited to stuff like natural disasters, weather related (lighting strike for example), etc.

What insurance do you have that covers accidental damage?

Last time I made an estimate for somebody for an insurance claim, I priced all new parts.

Usually insurance on electronics is limited to stuff like natural disasters, weather related (lighting strike for example), etc.

What insurance do you have that covers accidental damage?

Wife is working on that, she just asked for a list. I normally do as i'm told ... well most of the time :)

I'm trying to find current replacements's for things like the 3770k and 680 classified.

don't forget you have a deductible. you need to look at your loss settlement provision for personal property. it will be either replacement cost or actual cash value. typically most policies are replacement cost, so use the current value to replace the items new, not what you paid for them. if the exact item is not available, then the cost of something similar or a little better.

since this won't be a large claim, you can be fairly liberal with values if you know what i mean. it's not worth the cost to the insurance company to nit pick a few hundred dollars here or there.

there are typically limits for theft of computer property. other than that, you are covered for the remaining 16 named perils for personal property.
  1. Lightning or fire
  2. Hail or windstorm
  3. Damage caused by aircraft
  4. Explosions
  5. Riots or civil disturbances
  6. Smoke damage
  7. Damage caused by vehicles
  8. Theft
  9. Vandalism
  10. Falling objects
  11. Volcanic eruption
  12. Damage from the weight of snow, ice, or sleet
  13. Water damage from plumbing, heating, or air conditioning overflow
  14. Water heater cracking, tearing, and burning
  15. Damage from electrical current
  16. Pipe freezing
insurance agent for 10 years.

Last edited:
last bit of advice, i wouldn't submit an itemized parts list to the claims department unless it is requested. usually won't be.

take some photos of the damage.

just list "high performance gaming pc" $2,500 or whatever your total is.

GTX 680 is matched by the GTX 950, which is a $150 graphics card.

3770k is matched in performance by either the 6600k (less threads, but two more generations of performance improvements), $230. Or you can claim the next jump up, with the 6700 (non k), $300.

if you'd like to go further down the rabbit hole, the purpose of insurance is to indemnify the policyholder and return them to a pre-loss state. your pre-loss state included not having to build a new computer. the insurance company is looking at this as simply a computer loss, not the loss of a bunch of individual components.

that being said, you could simply cost out a new computer at somewhere like ibuypower.com or equivalent with a 6700k and a gtx 1070 would be safe. just don't go crazy. this will also make it easier to justify the cost of the upgraded components since they certainly don't offer a 3770k or 680 anymore.

Last edited:
if you'd like to go further down the rabbit hole, the purpose of insurance is to indemnify the policyholder and return them to a pre-loss state. your pre-loss state included not having to build a new computer. the insurance company is looking at this as simply a computer loss, not the loss of a bunch of individual components.

that being said, you could simply cost out a new computer at somewhere like ibuypower.com or equivalent with a 6700k and a gtx 1070 would be safe. just don't go crazy. this will also make it easier to justify the cost of the upgraded components since they certainly don't offer a 3770k or 680 anymore.

This right here - price out a good pre-built system.

Back