Insulation for ethernet cables

amrogers3

Gawd

Trying to find some tubing to put over exposed ethernet wires. The builder for some unknown reason pulled off the insulation. Now I would like to reinsulate the wires to protect from noise.

I can probably find some heat shrink tubing but it won't offer protection against crosstalk with other cables. Also there is a power supply in the network panel which may produce noise.

20151219_191208_zpswakkdhgf.jpg

Last edited:
Its actually the twists that protect it from noise/interference. The outside jacket is just for physical protection.

What the shit is that mess on the right of the outlet? Is that actual wiring or wire clippings from someone trying to get an much loose conductive material next to a power outlet as possible? Looks like a disaster in there...

Its actually the twists that protect it from noise/interference. The outside jacket is just for physical protection.

Thanks for clarifying. So, under what conditions would you need STP?

What the shit is that mess on the right of the outlet? Is that actual wiring or wire clippings from someone trying to get an much loose conductive material next to a power outlet as possible? Looks like a disaster in there...

HA! yes, those are clippings from attaching the RJ45 plugs. There are 8 CAT5e cables from different parts on the house coming together in the network panel. They were all attached to a telephone connect box so they were taken out of the telephone box and RJ45 plugs added.

Now to find heat shrink tubing and 8 port switch....

That's way out of spec, but as long as twists are kept you are ok, I would personally just use heat shrink tubing.

It's horrible that people who are PAID to do this do such a botched job though. The little of that cabinet that is visible looks like a dog's breakfast lol.

STP is more common in outdoor and high interference environments. Frankly it is not really all that common because it requires proper install or else is much worse than Non-shielded UTP. It has to have a connection to ground and special connectors to bleed the interference off to the ground plane.

STP is more common in outdoor and high interference environments. Frankly it is not really all that common because it requires proper install or else is much worse than Non-shielded UTP. It has to have a connection to ground and special connectors to bleed the interference off to the ground plane.

Do you have references for this ? I'd like to read-up on it more.

Do you have references for this ? I'd like to read-up on it more.

http://customcable.ca/stp-vs-utp-cables-application-comparison/
http://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/6773/stp-termination-and-grounding

and I have seen so many installs of STP where the installer did not use the proper shielded connectors or go into in switch/device that supports STP. In these cases it is worse than UTP. So many think that it is "better", it really is not, it is just "different" for different use cases.

You should really kick the installer in the nuts for that fustercluck ... repeatedly!

WTF!! ... Ethernet with muppet extensions??

http://customcable.ca/stp-vs-utp-cables-application-comparison/
http://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/6773/stp-termination-and-grounding

and I have seen so many installs of STP where the installer did not use the proper shielded connectors or go into in switch/device that supports STP. In these cases it is worse than UTP. So many think that it is "better", it really is not, it is just "different" for different use cases.

+1 for this, most people and even trained IT personnel fail to install STP correct.
for this to work it should be shielded 360 degrees around.

i normally work with RF (+10GHz) and Aero/Defence electronics, and even in this business people fail to do it right.

Most contractors don't give a shit, it's not their stuff. We get one thing fixed and two more things broken. This has been a reoccurring theme.

+1

Clean that shit up. It's looks ghetto enough as it is.

Back