Instructions on Dual Boot (Vista and XP) needed.

fatez

Limp Gawd
I"m having a little problem doing dual boot with Vista and XP. I've google around looking for answers, but they weren't very clear. So anyone can give me clear precise instruction, I would greatly appreciated.

First things first.

In order for anyone to help you with a dual boot setup, we're going to need to know your system specs, what os configuration you have currently, and most importantly, what have you done thus far? I ask because you indicate that you may have already attempted to set up a dual boot on your system, and have run into problems. If this is the case, we really need to know what you've already done.

And lastly, you do need to realize that if you do attempt to go dual boot and run into problems, you can seriously fuck up your current os install. The very first thing you need to do is completely back up your system.

Please be careful. I saw a thread about dual booting with vista, and heard that vista writes its files to your c drive, so you will lose your backup - recovery files. Which also means that it will edit your master boot record. Back up your files before you do so.

Please be careful.

Exactly.
If done correctly, dual booting Vista and XP is no problem, but as I said before, if done incorrectly, you can really screw up your XP install.

The other thing I'd like to know is are you wanting install a beta version of Vista?

I don't mind screwing up Xp or anything. All of my information are backed up and I reformat like once every month.

If you can provide me with step by step instruction that would be a lot of help. Let just say my starting poing now is that I have window xp installed and everything. If it is easier, we can start with a hard drive with nothing install. Thanks.

You still haven't provided the specs I asked for.

Do you want to install Vista on the same hard drive as XP, or on another hard drive altogether?

If you want to share the drive with XP, we need to know how that drive is partitioned, and what size the aprtition(s) are.

My system spec is

amd 3400

6800 ultra

74k raptor

1 gig of ram

Thus far, I have installed vista and it was working perfectly. However, the games weren't up to par so I went back to XP. Then, I missed the graphic of Vista and decided to do a dual boot. So, using my window xp CD, I did complete reformat of the hard drive. Partition the C drive into 2 drives with one 45 gig, and a 25 gig. I than installed the xp to the 25 gig and was successful. Than I put in the Vista and install it to the 45 gig was was successful also. However, when it boot, it doesn't give me the option of which operating system to choose but it would boot into window Xp or If installed vista first, it would boot into Vista. One time It wouldn't even boot and give me an error "forgot what it was" before the window screen come on. I think it was looking for an OS but somehow got confuse.

You still haven't provided the specs I asked for.

Do you want to install Vista on the same hard drive as XP, or on another hard drive altogether?

If you want to share the drive with XP, we need to know how that drive is partitioned, and what size the aprtition(s) are.

Yes I want to install vista and xp on my raptor. I want 45 gig on the Vista, and 25 gig on XP. I don't mind wiping the hard drive clean. Yes, the Raptor is my primary drive. I also have a 200gig and a 300 gig but wanted to leave them alone.

Is the Vista partition in front of the XP partition?

XP should be installed on the first partition, then Vista.

I don't quite understand the whole concept of what is infront or not? I partitioned the drive C to 2 drives C (25 gig) and V (for Vista 45 gig) using the xp installation CD.

Start from a raptor 74 gig which I will wipe clean.

I want to partition it to a 45 gig which is to install VIsta, and 25 gig to install XP Pro. How do I do that?

Go to My Computer>right click>manage>storage>disk management(local).
In the row that says Disk0, is the Vista partition first, or is the XP partition first.

Start from a raptor 74 gig which I will wipe clean.

I want to partition it to a 45 gig which is to install VIsta, and 25 gig to install XP Pro. How do I do that?

I have to stress again that you need to have a fairly decent understanding of what your doing here in order to prevent problems from arising, and how to deal with those problems when they do arise. Having someone "walk you through" this type of thing on a forum almost always leads to problems.

Before moving ahead with what your doing I would strongly recommend that you do some research on your own, and learn as much as you can before jumping in with both feet.

That being said, here are some basic steps.

Start with your XP cd, reformat the drive, making a 25g partition first, and the 45g second. Format them both to NTFS, and make both of them primary partitions. Next install XP on the 25g partition, and follow that by installing Vista on the 45g. Vista should configure your bootloader for you.

Good luck to you.

I have to stress again that you need to have a fairly decent understanding of what your doing here in order to prevent problems from arising, and how to deal with those problems when they do arise. Having someone "walk you through" this type of thing on a forum almost always leads to problems.

Before moving ahead with what your doing I would strongly recommend that you do some research on your own, and learn as much as you can before jumping in with both feet.

That being said, here are some basic steps.

Start with your XP cd, reformat the drive, making a 25g partition first, and the 45g second. Format them both to NTFS, and make both of them primary partitions. Next install XP on the 25g partition, and follow that by installing Vista on the 45g. Vista should configure your bootloader for you.

Good luck to you.

When I format in the window Xp configuration, it forces me to install window xp afterward. I don't have the option to format the Vista drive.

After I'm done installing window xp, how should I install Vista? Do I use the vista disc to install, but I've tried that, it will install, but it will not do a dual boot.

I agree with everything digital_exhaust said, with one change. Dual-booting is fairy easy to do though, so I'm not sure why so many have had problems lately. Anyhoo, as for the change:

Boot from the XP CD and make your partition, such as the 25GB one suggested above. Do not create any other partitions at the moment. Once you have XP installed and bootable, boot from the Vista CD/DVD. Choose the blank, free space, and install Vista there. You will now have a dual boot system, with a menu option at boot to select which OS you want.

Well, that is one way to do it, but he's trying to install XP and Vista on the same drive, in a dual boot configuration. Not two seperate drives.

Thanks for all the information guys. I got everything working perfectly. This is what I did.

Install window xp and make 2 partition one 30gig and one 40 gig. Install the xp into the 30 gig. Once Xp was loaded I tried to install Vista while in Xp but it give me an error. So, I used my Vista DVD and booted into the configuration menu and install it from there.

I also did some research and learn many interesting things. I had a little problem because I installed Vista before Xp so there was a problem. This site will explain what I mean.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

Again thanks for all of you guys help.

Back