Instant Shutdown

archalien

n00b
Moved my desktop to another room. Started noticing instant complete OFF (from idle load), no logoff/shutdown, no blue screen, nothing in the windows event logs, like someone pulled the plug out of the back of the PS.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot aside from swapping parts out at cost/productivity/headache/peril.
I imagine it could be a bad PS, MB, maybe the sealed water cooler is failing/glitching signaling a panic shutdown???

It is a 4 year old XFX 1150W rebadge of a [H]ighly reviewed SeaSonic model/production runs.
It was way overspecced for the system, never had any OC'ing/mods on it, never abused, cleaned 1-2x a year.

Its sitting on an APC1500 UPS that doesnt even trigger on the poweroff.

Any help figuring out the best way to resolve this(hopefully w/o resulting in buying replacements to swap with) would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
Sincerely
Looking for some [H]ard help.

You could start by re-seating every connection, could be a short that happened from the move.

Reseat pci-e cards and ram and maybe CPU cooler and check for loose fan cables.

Yep, reseating things is a priority since you moved the rig. I usually associate instant shutdowns with bad RAM or PSU; in this case a RAM stick or a power connection may be just loose enough to break connection if someone steps on the wrong spot in another room or something. This might not be visible to look at so you will just have to do them all.

Also, have a look at where the wires from the case (power button, reset, etc.) are connected to the motherboard. Do that last since you're likely to knock them loose when fiddling around with everything else.

Thanks for all the awesome replies everyone. This rig has been rock solid over several house moves over the years, I will touch up all connections and cards and retry!

+ 1 Million Overclock Karma to you all

Reporting time....

So thanks all, I saved money but didnt sleep that night.

I tried jiggling/reseating the power cables.....then I got a hard crash with screen freeze with some corruption but no power off.

Some more jiggling/plugging and unplugging/replugging of components and cables then board failed to post with some error just moved, no clue where MB book is currently in a box somewhere in the house.
After a bunch of failed troubleshooting steps I realized that my vid card was sagging onto the wifi card below it and the fan wasnt spinning, fcuk! pulled the wifi card to get going again, but still wont post with different error.
Well somewhere in a 6 hour marathon mess I had pulled the ram and not put it back in properly, reseat it and I was posting again.
Eventually had to invert the vid card to slot 3 to eliminate the sagging issue and put the wifi in slot 1(got blocked by tpm in slot 3) not happy bout this, but Im not gaming on this gfx card, once I get new grfx card may have to revisit this .

But yeah 6 hours later, not sure if it was the sagging grfx card(or if the sag issue just appeared after I started fussing with it) or if it was just a loose wire from the wifi card install/case move.
But in the end it has been rock solid since my last post.

This thing has been rock solid for over 4 years, not having to go under the hood in so long made me panick in this situation and expect the worst.

Thanks all for the awesome sanity check I needed to get this resolved properly. Everyone gets to keep thier Overclock Karma

Back