• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Installing Zalman VF700-CU

Lepy

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 28, 2004
Messages
65
I have a BFG 6800GT, and I am about to install a VF700 because my card idles at 60-62 and runs at about 80 under load on the stock heatsink.

I plan to use Arctic Silver 5 for the thermal compound, but I am curious as to how I should go about applying it. When it is time to apply the AS5, should I add a little blob like the AS5 instruction say, or should I try spreading out a thin layer using my finger in a plastic bag as seen in the Zalman instructions?
 
Also I was wondering how I should go about removing my BFG 6800GT's normal heatsink. Its the big dual fan kind.

I know I need to remove the screws on the X support on the under side of the card, but how long should I wait from removing the video card to trying to remove the heatsink? The thermal stuff will still be sticky, won't it?
 
Naw the paste on all 6800GT isn't very sticky than older model. Anyways, for the AS5 apply thin layer of it on gpu cuz there's no ihs on it lol. The instruction u read from AS5 is only for ihs (integrated heatsink, the metal heatspreader) on many of newer cpu like A64 and P4.

In additional, for the ramsink pls remove the heatsink and wipe the surface of ram chip with alcohol really good. After all, u will be able to put zalman ramsink on it really easy by hold it down for few seconds. :)

Suggestion: use zalman's instruction for this kind of installation ;)

Note: I am one of proud VF-700Cu owner. :)
 
Back
Top