Installing XP Pro dual boot with vista x64

srgess

Weaksauce
I just ordered a TV-Tuner and i just realise that its isnt compatible with Vista x64, so i want to install Windows XP do i need to do something special to have a working dual boot. I just need to boot with xp cd and install on my primary hard drive doing a partion on it ? Or i need to install on a new hard drive ?

You need to manually edit the bootloader to get it working right since you installed the OSes in the wrong order but it'll still work. If you want a hassle free experience then wipe the drive and install XP first then install Vista after and everything will fall into place nicely.

Too much work to reinstall my software and reactiving my oem vista version. If someone did it easily let me know

Easiest way, honestly, is just install onto a new hard drive. Set the new hard drive as your primary boot drive in your bios *before* you begin your XP install. To be safe you should unplug your Vista drive during the entire XP install because it doesn't matter anyway.

When you're done (and have reconnected your vista drive) you won't have any sort of bootloader but all you have to do to switch between XP and Vista is to go back into your bios and switch your primary boot drive which takes all of 15 seconds. Not ideal but it's still easy and it doesn't rely on either OS to do ANYTHING which is the part I personally like.

I just just installed Windows XP on my second hard drive, but Vista boot by default, any kind of boot loader i can install to choose between each other. I tryed to boot on my second hard drive via bios boot but didnt work.

Yeah well i found a program called Easy BCD, witch do the same as vista boot pro. I tryed but didnt work the first time, i needed to remove vista boot loader, i booted into XP, installed easy bcd there and reinstall Vista Boot Loader, and work perfect now.

Back