Installing XP on a large hard drive

GewoW

n00b
Hey,

I know that a patch fixed the 120gb hard drive limit and that when upgrading to SP1 larger hard drives can be seen. My problem is, I would like to buy a new HDD (720 gb) and install XP on it because I feel like my old 80/200/200 HDDs will fail soon and I would like the extra space :(. So my questions are the following:

- Is there any way to install xp on that drive, and run it successfully?
- If i wanted to re-format for another clean install in the future, and I have, say an 80 gb partition for system files and the rest for data, can i selectively delete that partition to install it on, or will windows see the drive as one 120gb drive when trying to install?

Can anyone help so that I can know what my options are? I really don't want to have to upgrade to a newer OS as this not the primary computer :confused:.

Thanks guys

Just use a disc slipstreamed with SP3 and you wont have any problems.

In windows setup you can see individual partitions, and selectively delete them, and choose which one to install to.

Can you explainhow this is done, or point to an article that explains it?

Thanks

Can you explainhow this is done, or point to an article that explains it?
Download a program called nLite and Windows XP SP 3.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en
http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

• Copy the contents of your XP disc to a folder
  • Launch nlite
  • Point it to that folder
  • Press the button to integrate SP/Hotfix and press create iso
  • Point to the service pack .exe file let it integrate
  • It will create a .iso that you can burn to a CD (make sure you actually press create iso at this screen and not just 'done')

Last edited:
Are you sure that the slipstreaming sp3 will fix the 120gb limit? (As in, will it recognize a larger HDD WHEN installing XP?)

jump bumping to make sure that this can also recognize sata hdds?
It's not about recognizing the sata hdd's. It's about the motherboard allowing IDE mode for sata controllers, to install XP, unless you have the AHCI driver on a floppy for true sata mode. If your motherboard allows sata->ide mode, then you don't need to F6 anything.

jump bumping to make sure that this can also recognize sata hdds?

Does your motherboard need F6 drivers to recognize SATA drives? If yes, you can also slipstream your chipset drivers into the patched xp disc, along with a whole bunch of other programs. Check out the links on the nLite forums for more help.

Back