Installing xp on a dell desktop from an external dvd drive?

fern

n00b
Is it possible to install windows xp from an external dvd drive? I have a dell dimension desktop e521 (purchased in may 2007) and a Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 reinstallation cd. I'm planning to try the usb flash drive method first and if that fails I'll try a memorex external dvd burner which has been problematic in the past (computer sometimes won't recognize it and I have to unplug it and restart). If that fails is there any reason to try a different external dvd drive or should I just skip to the next step and replace the computer's internal dvd drive?

If you BIOS supports booting from a USB device it should work. My current PC has no floppy or optical drives in it. I install XP from an external USB HP DVD drive. If you go with the flash drive method let me know how that works out. I've never been able to get it to work for me.

It should work just fine on that new of a computer. The flash drive method should be a lot faster though. Regardless, I would still replace the internal drive. You can get a nice Samsung burner for $20 now.

Back