Installing x64 Windows on Baytrail tablet

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been thinking about this for a while. All Baytrail Atom tablets support x64 but they all ship with x86 Windows. This is because InstantGo drivers weren't ready for x64 - what allows your tablet to mega-sleep while still getting emails and such. That is supposedly ready now, yet I still see new Spring 2014 Baytrail tablets ship with x86 windows.

A couple days ago the Acer Switch 10 was announced, kind of a hybrid between the Asus T100 and the Lenovo Yoga devices: that is, a 2 in 1 that can have the Yoga's 4 different positions but can split like the T100. This Switch uses a Z3745 which supports x64 windows but ships with x86 and has put some doubt in my purchase decision.

The question now is: what's stopping me from wiping the device clean (and do away with what's probably an awful recovery partition image from Acer) and installing a clean 8.1 x64 Windows? The device support is there, the CPU support is there... sure I'd like 4GB memory for a x64 installation but surely if x86 runs fine on 2GB, x64 should have much problem? I like x64 better due to it's more robust security, and there's a bunch of programs (office/photoshop/etc) that run faster/better/manage memory better in x64 mode.

Am I wrong to think this is doable? Even if another image installation wouldn't want to activate (I don't see why it wouldn't as the device is Acer registered) I get plenty Windows licenses through my job, so worst case scenario I'd just use another license. What's stopping me then? Is there some obvious obstacle I'm ignoring?

x64 uses more RAM I believe, and definitely takes up significantly more hard drive space. Especially on 32 and 64gb tablets, that space is at a premium. But you're right in that there is no technical obstacle obstructing you.

Actually from what I'm reading around the web there might be a problem with some tablets like the T100 which don't have a x64 EFI bootloader which apparently makes installing x64 Windows impossible... unless I'm completely misunderstanding what's going on?

Back