Installing with Single SATA

Trident

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
84
Hey guys,

I've recently attained a 120GB SATA HDD. I finally got BIOS to recognize that it was there and now when I try to install Windows, it doesn't see it.

I'm using an ASUS K8V Deluxe mobo. It has two controllers -- the VIA and the Promise. The VIA does SATA RAID and the Promise does IDE RAID and SATA RAID. I can't seem to figure out whether I need to install drivers for the SATA (I'm trying to install XP SP1) or if my mobo ONLY supports SATA if it is in a RAID config... I'd really like to use this drive! Any help is greatly appreciated!!
 
First off, does your motherboard have an onboard SATA controller? If so, then you needed to install the drivers for it with an F6 upon the early initialization of the Windows setup. This is even before formatting the drive itself.

Plus, in your BIOS, ensure that booting from the OnBoard SATA is enabled.

Dark Assassin
 
Yes it does support onboard SATA. I guess I figured that since the manual said I needed XP SP1 in order to use the SATA (not sure how true that is) that XP SP1 would come with the drivers for it.

I just found the drivers for it, so I'll get started now and report back if I run into trouble. Thanks Dark!
 
Whew! That did it. I guess my big trouble was realizing that I needed drivers for SATA and where I could find them on my CD. Glad that's all done! Thanks so much for your help!! I was getting scared there... :)
 
Back
Top