installing windows XP while keeping it protected against viruses

NleahciM

2[H]4U
Hi - I remember seeing a guide somewhere that showed how to keep your computer protected against viruses when installing XP. I remember it was something about adjusting the network settings... But I can't really remember. Anyways I really need to find it - because I'm about to install xp on a computer on a network where about 95% of the computers are infected with at least one virus.

unplug network cable while installing and install your antivirus from off a cd. Problem solved.

Originally posted by Whatsisname
unplug network cable while installing and install your antivirus from off a cd. Problem solved.

How about getting the newest virus definitions? And how about getting all of the windows updates? There was a guide that explained how to do this...

install firewall, and before you connect, deny all connections except those from/to your antivirus and windows update (explorer yeech)

Originally posted by Whatsisname
install firewall, and before you connect, deny all connections except those from/to your antivirus and windows update (explorer yeech)

I don't use software firewalls :( I have yet to find one that doesn't completely suck.

Originally posted by defcom_1
then get a hardware firewall :rolleyes:
that's what I do.

Yeah, right. Oh wait. No.

I have one at home - just right now I don't have one.

Originally posted by USMC2Hard4U
turn off all your other computers in home network... then install

LOL!

That one made me blow coffee on my keyboard, again!

:D

Brent

Just the regular windows xp connection firewall should protect you from nearly everything, including msblaster, just do that. Or wait for winxp SP2 with its better firewall.

Just download patchs from MS and put them on CD. Unplug computer, install OS, then install patches/virus scanner(NOD32 rocks) then replug and get rest of patchs.

Originally posted by USMC2Hard4U
turn off all your other computers in home network... then install

It's a school network. I don't think everyone would really be willing to do that.

Originally posted by foreignkid
Just the regular windows xp connection firewall should protect you from nearly everything, including msblaster, just do that.

Or just temporarily install a software firewall such as zone alarm or black ice. You may not like it, but once windows is updated, you can get rid of it.

Back