Installing Windows XP Pro w/Dell Install CD

Commex

Weaksauce
I have a CD that was provided by Dell for me to install windows XP. However, I no longer use that Dell PC since it is not working. Can I use the CD to install it on a custom-built computer or will I have to use a non-dell installation CD? thanks.

The actual Dell OEM disc is tied to the BIOS in the Dell machine, so in that respect it should useless when attempting to install it on any other brand of hardware including no-name homebrew builds.

But in the long, it's pretty much illegal to do that anyway since you'd be violating the terms of the licensing. I won't get into the "It's not illegal here debate since I don't know where you are (meaning the OP) - I live in the US, it's illegal here, so my answer(s) always come from that perspective.

Hope this helps...

I'm happy to jump in on the "it's not legal here" bit. I've done a Bit of checking into what's what in various places in the past, and I've never come across anywhere it would actually be legally valid to what is described. Even in countries where piracy is rampant actual laws in place would render it illegal to take the media and install key from a prebuilt, preinstalled system and use it on a subsequent machine. Some places you have a snowball's chance in Hell of being prosecuted for it, of course, but it'd still be illegal regardless!

You can use the Dell CD. It just won't activate over the web. You will have to call and give them the Activation ID. The CD will install Windows with the Dell VLK (Volume License Key) but since your BIOS does not match one of Dell's systems it will not activate until you have updated the key to the one your purchased for your system. Update the Key and then have it create a new activation ID, call Microsoft and they will give you the #'s you need. VIOLA you will now be using YOUR CD Key that you PURCHASED, not violating any agreements.

The actual Dell OEM disc is tied to the BIOS in the Dell machine, so in that respect it should useless when attempting to install it on any other brand of hardware including no-name homebrew builds.
False.

----

Commex: It will work, but it's against the license.

Alright, well since it is illegal, I will not attempt it.

Thanks for the input guys!

There's nothing illegal about using the disk, as long as you have a valid Windows XP Home OEM cd-key that you got with your new computer (or purchased seperately). The cd has a VLK-type of license that will only work on the Dell hardware, but as others have mentioned, you will be required to enter a new key to activate (the key that came with the Dell may NOT legally be used on the new computer). Alternatively you can create a new disk with nLiteOS and strip the old VLK key and leave it blank or add your own key if you would prefer.

Back