Installing Windows XP on a PCI IDE Controller Card

Bob-0

n00b
Joined
Jul 30, 2002
Messages
40
I just installed a PCI IDE controller card because I found out the one the motherboard died out and since I dont have the money to go out and buy another motherboard, I thought that using a IDE Controller Card would work.
Here's my problem, everytime I try to install Windows XP, I can get it the point where it copies the files to hard drive, but when the computer reboots to continue the installation it goes back to the initial setup screen instead of continuing with the installation. I have the BIOS setup up so that it boots SCSI then CD-Rom, then Floppy. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks. :confused:
 
Hmm, I have the same exact problem as you. Might as well wait for a reply instead of writing another thread. :(

However I do have some solutions that might work. One solution is instead of installing Win XP directly, install win98 first then upgrade to Win XP. Another solution I heard is using the 6-disk floppy boot disks from www.bootdisk. Not sure if these work.
 
Are you sure SCSI is the correct boot option? It sounds like it isn't so its booting from the CD.
 
I figured out the problem. I had the jumper settings set incorrectly on the Hard Drive I was using. I feel like a total fool right now. Thanks for your help guys.
 
Does it really matter because I have the jumper setting on (Master/Slave - Factory Default), and it installs fine as Master on my old motherboard, but I get the same problem what you have on my new motherboard.
 
eLus1ve
What i did was take the jumper out. This tells the drive that it is the only one in the computer. I guess the BIOS on the controller card got confused with only one drive, and master and slave jumper setting. After i did that, my IDE controller card saw the drive, and it got rid of the windows xp installation problem i mentioned ealier.
 
Back
Top