installing windows xp home without the cd

GMcDougal

Gawd
im working on a friends computer, and it needs a total reinstall of windows xp home due to bsod problems. The problem is, my friend doesnt have the cd. Its a dell pc so the home sticker with the cd key on the case, but still no cd. what can i do to install windows xp home and use his cd key?

You'll need to find an XP Home OEM CD, and use that. If your friend lost the CD, or didn't burn one right away, then have him/her call Dell and request one, unless you know someone else with a Dell and an XP Home OEM CD. If so. I'd use AutoStreamer to make an SP3 slipstreamed disc while you are at it, and make sure your friend keeps the disc in a safe place.

Just about any computer shop would gladly burn you a disk for a small fee of 20.00. It will even be SP3. Let them know you have licensing in place and want to reinstall.

Cheers!

I just read over this post and wanted to confirm the above because I'm in a similar siuation. So I can take any Home edition OEM cd and use that to install windows on multiple computers, assuming I have a seperate written key for each one? If this is the case, how does an OEM cd check for hardware changes during install? Is it limited to the hardware configuration for each cd, or by cd key? Thanks.

If you have a plain XP Home OEM CD, you should be able to use it to install on other computers, assuming you have a unique OEM CD key for each system. If you have a Dell XP Home OEM CD, I've heard people say it will only work on other Dells. Once you activate that OEM key for the first time, the hardware hash is sent to Microsoft. If that hash changes, do to hardware changes, your activate might be tripped, and you'll have to call Microsoft to explain what was changed, in order to reactivate, and they'll do so...depending on what changes were made.

Back