Installing windows vista! Help please

derrico

n00b
So I downloaded a "legit" copy of windows vista and was wondering how I would go about installing it, the program is just on my computer. Do I burn it onto a cd and then just insert it? I have only CDR disks are these okay? Thanks, please tell me everything, never done this before.

So I downloaded a "legit" copy of windows vista and was wondering how I would go about installing it, the program is just on my computer. Do I burn it onto a cd and then just insert it? I have only CDR disks are these okay? Thanks, please tell me everything, never done this before.

vista won't fit on a cd, it's a couple of gigs.

i didn't know you could download windows legally...

You can technically download MSDN licenses, but I would expect them to give you instructions.

Either way, I'm betting this isn't as "legal" as you say. Case in point, you should have been given directions.

I may eat my words, but without proof, that's what I'm going with.

It might be legal ;) anyways, on the site Pbnation.com someone said it has to be put on DvDr disks, this makes sense to me. Should that work?

I know that their program for schools (MSDN AA) gives no instructions. Just an image download and thats it.

It might be legal ;) anyways, on the site Pbnation.com someone said it has to be put on DvDr disks, this makes sense to me. Should that work?

If you're looking for illegitimate software assistance, it shouldn't be in this forum.

Vista comes on 1 DVD or 5 CD's. Get the CD version.

It would be legit. You can purchase Vista and download it. It's the first time Microsoft has allowed this.

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=395&tabid=1

That link is Microsoft's how-to. In the middle of the page is the section about the "Digital Locker" that allows you to purchase and download Microsoft software directly from them. That How-to should help you do the install.
I didn't realize Microsoft offered downloads of Vista outside of their Windows Anytime Upgrade program.

*Sigh* Either way, you need a program that can burn ISOs. Download DeepBurner (for example), select brun ISO, browse to the file, and click burn. If you don't have a DVD burner, you need to download and burn the 5-CD image.

Too much carrying on in threads like this. Simple fact is that it doesn't really matter WHAT you use to install with. Using a legitimate, legally owned install code and getting the installation activated and validated is where the legality/illegality lies, not what's been used to install with. I've got a legitimate, purchased Vista Home Premium here, for example. If I want to install it on a machine it doesn't really matter if I use the original DVD, copy the DVD and use the copy to install with, or download a bloody ISO, burn that to DVD and use that to install with. As long as I'm using my valid and legally owned install code it's all good.

Enough with the morality police, eh? The bloke hasn't asked how to crack the thing. He's only asked how the image is put onto the disk!

Sheesh! Anybody want to help me out and upload an ISO for me? I'm one of those rare souls who refuses to have a credit card on principle, so I'm sorta stuffed at the moment for getting hold of the freebie 64-bit install my retail package entitles me to. Credit card is the only means the idiots have made postage costs payable by!

Nope, that wasn't a call for piracy. It was a tongue-in-cheek mention of a very real circumstance. Some of you need to sit back and reflect upon whether or not piracy is actually involved in a discussion before jumping on the anti-piracy hobby-horse and throwing out allegations!

Too much carrying on in threads like this. Simple fact is that it doesn't really matter WHAT you use to install with. Using a legitimate, legally owned install code and getting the installation activated and validated is where the legality/illegality lies, not what's been used to install with. I've got a legitimate, purchased Vista Home Premium here, for example. If I want to install it on a machine it doesn't really matter if I use the original DVD, copy the DVD and use the copy to install with, or download a bloody ISO, burn that to DVD and use that to install with. As long as I'm using my valid and legally owned install code it's all good.

Enough with the morality police, eh? The bloke hasn't asked how to crack the thing. He's only asked how the image is put onto the disk!

Sheesh! Anybody want to help me out and upload an ISO for me? I'm one of those rare souls who refuses to have a credit card on principle, so I'm sorta stuffed at the moment for getting hold of the freebie 64-bit install my retail package entitles me to. Credit card is the only means the idiots have made postage costs payable by!

Nope, that wasn't a call for piracy. It was a tongue-in-cheek mention of a very real circumstance. Some of you need to sit back and reflect upon whether or not piracy is actually involved in a discussion before jumping on the anti-piracy hobby-horse and throwing out allegations!

Wow...I don't understand where about half of this came from. I liked the How-to for the OP, that tells you what to do, and it also explains where a legal downloaded copy of Vista can come from...you just sort of vomited a bunch of stuff that doesn't really pertain to...well...anything.

Wow...I don't understand where about half of this came from.
Call it pre-empting if you like. A few comments already in the thread querying the legitimacy of the question. The likelihood of more appearing. It's not uncommon for threads like this to get bogged down by such matters, here or elsewhere, and genuine questions get sidetracked oin the process. I was simply pointing out that unless a question about cracking the blasted thing is posted it ain't really about piracy.

I just read your own contribution, by the way, and it's not all that helpful. If somebody wants to understand the basics of turning a downloaded disk image to CD or DVD they'd do well to read explanatory articles such as this one.

Back