Installing Windows Updates Remotely

djnes

Fully [H]
Is there any software available that would let me force Windows Updates out to specific computers on my network? The problem I'm having, is that my user account is the only one on the domain that can install Windows Updates. For some reason, not even the Domain Admin can do it. I've spent a lot of time trying to fix that problem, but no alleged solution works.

I remember Microsoft having a free utility that let em scan for updates and see which ones were missing...but I don't think that allowed me to force the install. I'm hoping there's a free or near free utility that lets me do this, but maybe it's just wishful thinking.

It works for me to download the updates and install them from my USB Thumb Drive, using the Run As command...but that's not going to work for remote computers (connected by VPN).

You probably have an inherited right you aren't aware off. Check your true effective permissions and see what you really have.

Have your tried Windows Server Update Services? WSUS has the server push down updates to the machines. Also I would look into why the admin account can't run them. Something is wrong there.

Back