Installing Windows on a Linux computer

kopekci

n00b
About half a year ago I decided to completely remove Windows from my computer and start using only Linux. So far there haven't been any problems, except that some games don't run very well on Wine and so I want to re-install Windows just for gaming.

Now, the problem is that I already have Arch Linux on my computer, and I know that Windows messes up the boot which requires me to manually fix it. I'm also using syslinux instead of GRUB as a bootloader. Of course I could install GRUB, but I've never had to set the boot options manually before, so I'm not sure what to do. One solution would be wiping my whole hard drive and re-installing Linux too, which is made easier by the fact that I can use my external hard drive to back up my /home, but I really don't want to do it if it's not necessary.

So basically the question is: how do I fix the bootloader once I have installed Windows?

I have another question too. I want to keep the Windows partition as small as possible and install the games on the external HD instead. How large should the partition be? 30-40 GB maybe? And does loading games from an external HD make them noticeably slower to load?

I'm using 32-bit Arch Linux and the Windows DVD I have is Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

Thanks for help in advance.

Back