installing windows in usbkey! possible?

Installing FROM or TO a USB key? Big difference. You need to be more clear.

If you are talking about having it installed on the key and not installing it onto other compters FROM the key, it has been covered most recently HERE.
And effectively NO.

While it is possible to do it, it isn't that fast (depending on the usbkey) and introduces a a whole set of other problems. It's probably not recommended that you do it.

While it is possible to do it, it isn't that fast (depending on the usbkey) and introduces a a whole set of other problems. It's probably not recommended that you do it.

Such as ???

TO an usb key...
they have linux.
why not windows?
Because Windows is licensed to a machine, and running it off of a USB key breaks that model entirely, so there's no reason for them to support it?

TO an usb key...
they have linux.
why not windows?
Because the performance it horrible, as is the response each and everytime this is asked. Linux can be made to load into the host systems memory. Windows was not designed this way, and the USB interface can't handle the throughput that's needed. Windows was also not designed to be portable, so why would anyone even want to try it?

Such as ???

Such as the page file running the drive with all the writes, having to adjust to setup to load usb drivers in a different order. Not being portable (if that was what was intended), although that could be adjusted.

Because the performance it horrible, as is the response each and everytime this is asked. Linux can be made to load into the host systems memory. Windows was not designed this way, and the USB interface can't handle the throughput that's needed. Windows was also not designed to be portable, so why would anyone even want to try it?

I could see installing Win 7 on a USB key (or maybe a USB hard drive) so I could test out software before buying it. I hate downloading a 30-day trial and then deciding not to buy the software, only it is impossible to totally and completely remove that software from my system. In particular, the registry gets full of garbage entries.

Such as the page file running the drive with all the writes, having to adjust to setup to load usb drivers in a different order. Not being portable (if that was what was intended), although that could be adjusted.

Why can't you configure that Windows install to use a different drive for the swap file?

Back