Installing win7 using ABR on new dell, but keys do not match???

MySongRanHills

Limp Gawd
I just got a new dell XPS15 and ordered a 128gb m4 which gets here today to replace the standard 750gb which i plan to put in a USB3.0 enclosure. My problem is since Dell didn't see fit to give me a win 7 dvd I was downloading an iso from digitalriver and going to use ABR(http://directedge.us/content/abr-beta-with-windows-7-support) to activate it legitamitly. Problem is when I checked the back up file the key ABR claims my laptop currently has does not match the win7 key on the sticker. Why would this be? Any help greatly appreciated.

What version of Windows 7 did you download? What version of Windows 7 does the key allow?

the disc is all versions but I haven't even tried to install it b/c when I backed up my current windows7 home premium activation ABR makes 2 files. The one called backup-key.txt has what appears to be a windows product key. Problems is it doesn't match the product key sticker stuck on my laptop.

That's because PC's that are manufactured, like a dell, or HP, use an generic key for all similar models. It won't match unless you need to re-activate or for some reason. Ever notice when you run a restore, or install a dell windows disc on a dell? It doesn't ask for the key? Because they don't make a special disc for each PC. One disc for each model, AFAIK.

Could you alter the txt file to reflect the key on your laptop?
Yes I could. The question is should I?

That's because PC's that are manufactured, like a dell, or HP, use an generic key for all similar models. It won't match unless you need to re-activate or for some reason. Ever notice when you run a restore, or install a dell windows disc on a dell? It doesn't ask for the key? Because they don't make a special disc for each PC. One disc for each model, AFAIK.

That makes perfect sense. Should I just leave the activation files as is then? Obviously I want a legal activation, but out of curiosity doesn't that mean the stickers key could be used on another computer since it isn't in use on any machine? Seems like an invitation for the less scrupulous. The generic key could not be used on other machines b/c the parts wouldn't match right?

Just use the key on the bottom of the laptop... that one WILL activate.

If you backed up key and certificate (ABR should create 2 files), then use ABR again to restore them.

This, a generic, one key to activate all windows copies atthe factory, but legally each computer has to have it's own key per the terms set by Microsoft,

Dell and other big OEM's use SLP and activate against a SLIC table in the BIOS. If the certificate file matches the code in the BIOS SLIC table activation is silent and you don't get prompted for a product code. This allows them to use one master image for all of that particular model PC. If you tried to use that original OEM supplied disk that from a Dell, on an Acer or even a different model Dell it would fail activation or not install at all. The code on the sticker was never used and is flagged on the Microsoft activation server to force an activate by phone if its ever used. They will check the installation ID you give them to make sure its installed on the correct hardware and read you back a code to enter to activate it on your PC. I've done the activate by phone a couple of times using the code on the sticker and aside from the phone call, it was painless. If you tried to use that code on another PC your activation ID would likely tip them off and you would get rejected.

I've used a Dell disk just to get windows on a non-dell pc, and then used the OEM key on the COA to activate it. Was XP though, so with 7 YMMV. You also don't always have to call. I've run into several occasions where the key just activated once you put it in. All though, I can't say as to whether or not it had already been activated with that key. Either way, leave the activation as is. Also, make a backup with ABR. Use it if you have to. If not, great, just go with it. Especially if all you plan to do is clone the drive to the new one, shouldn't need to reactivate. You're only changing the drive. Might not trigger a reactivation. Post your results!

This guy has it mostly right.

Dell, HP, etc., all have a OEM specific key that they use for all of their systems. The sticker on the side has a product key but that's just because it's a unique number generated by Microsoft. HP doesn't have time to type in that key for every single computer they use. Instead, they use a generic, non-activatable, key that Microsoft gives them. The activation is instead done by having a couple files buried in the Windows system folder. Those files match the file hash that's stored in the motherboards BIOS. If they match, the OS is activated.

In this case, running a program that will backup your activation, it will grab the generic key that's used in mass on that brand PC's. If you try to use another product key, say the one on the sticker, then try to reuse that activation backup, it will fail.

Rather than screw around backing up the activation, just make your own 'official' Dell restore disc. Unzip that iso you downloaded from Digital River. Then download the correct OEM Source Folder for your PC's manufacturer. Drop that file into the sources director of the extracted ISO, then reburn using Image Burn. IB will prompt you that they detect it is a bootable disc (operating system) and will ask you to provide an boot image. If it can't find one on it's own, you can insert a Windows disc (burn the iso you downloaded if you have to) and it will extract it for you.

The disc you create will only work on the computers which it's supposed to, so it's not hacking/cracking by any means. If your OEM computer or self built computer is not supposed to have 7 on it (no matching SLIC hash in the bios), these disc won't activate and you will have to use a working product key.

Last edited:
I've used a Dell disk just to get windows on a non-dell pc, and then used the OEM key on the COA to activate it. Was XP though, so with 7 YMMV. You also don't always have to call. I've run into several occasions where the key just activated once you put it in. All though, I can't say as to whether or not it had already been activated with that key. Either way, leave the activation as is. Also, make a backup with ABR. Use it if you have to. If not, great, just go with it. Especially if all you plan to do is clone the drive to the new one, shouldn't need to reactivate. You're only changing the drive. Might not trigger a reactivation. Post your results!

Some disks will just install like a normal windows disk (ask for a product code) when used on another brand PC. Some are coded to not install at all unless used on the original brand PC they came with. Those ones are usually heavily modified with drivers etc so you wouldn't really want to use them on another PC brand anyway. It can be hit or miss. You can almost always use a regular original Microsoft disk with the product code on the COA sticker and activate by phone though. I say almost because XP for example can be fussy depending on whether the disk has any service packs integrated in it or not. Windows 7 doesn't seem to care though. I've used install media with and without SP1 and my OEM product code was accepted.

This guy has it mostly right.

Dell, HP, etc., all have a OEM specific key that they use for all of their systems. The sticker on the side has a product key but that's just because it's a unique number generated by Microsoft. HP doesn't have time to type in that key for every single computer they use. Instead, they use a generic, non-activatable, key that Microsoft gives them. The activation is instead done by having a couple files buried in the Windows system folder. Those files match the file hash that's stored in the motherboards BIOS. If they match, the OS is activated.

In this case, running a program that will backup your activation, it will grab the generic key that's used in mass on that brand PC's. If you try to use another product key, say the one on the sticker, then try to reuse that activation backup, it will fail.

Rather than screw around backing up the activation, just make your own 'official' Dell restore disc. Unzip that iso you downloaded from Digital River. Then download the correct OEM Source Folder for your PC's manufacturer. Drop that file into the root of the extracted ISO, then reburn using Image Burn. IB will prompt you that they detect it is a bootable disc (operating system) and will ask you to provide an boot image. If it can't find one on it's own, you can insert a Windows disc (burn the iso you downloaded if you have to) and it will extract it for you.

The disc you create will only work on the computers which it's supposed to, so it's not hacking/cracking by any means. If your OEM computer or self built computer is not supposed to have 7 on it (no matching SLIC hash in the bios), these disc won't activate and you will have to use a working product key.

I believe the $OEM$ folder actually goes in the "sources" folder not the root of the disk. Yeah, for windows 7 your motherboard has to have the SLIC 2.1 BIOS table. If you bought it off the shelf from NewEgg, or Tigerdirect it won't have it and it won't work. Dell, etc have a custom BIOS made with the SLIC table in it. Its been done that way since XP.

I believe the $OEM$ folder actually goes in the "sources" folder not the root of the disk. Yeah, for windows 7 your motherboard has to have the SLIC 2.1 BIOS table. If you bought it off the shelf from NewEgg, or Tigerdirect it won't have it and it won't work. Dell, etc have a custom BIOS made with the SLIC table in it. Its been done that way since XP.
Fixed, thanks!

I used ABR (the beta version) today on a Dell Inspiron 1588 without a single issue, it created the 2 files (key and cert) which were restored when the clean install was done.

I went ahead and used the generic key and it activated fine. Saved the head ache of a potential phone call. Didn't want to restore the factory image b/c I didn't want the bloatware. Just used the digital river iso and a utility to remove the ei.cfg file (allows all versions to be intalled from disc, but your key will only activate the version you legally own for those that were getting ideas). Anyways worked like a charm. Very much enjoying my 10second boots and 450MB/s reads :D. Thanks all for info.

Back