Installing Win7 on the same partition as WinXP

ashrack

Limp Gawd
Infront of me I have an Acer aspire 5920G. Currently it has WinXP install. And I intend to do a clean install of Win 7 on it. The problem I am facing is the partition. The computer has one 640GB partition with about 550GB of needed data
I have nowhere to move those 550GB of data. So I was thinking of booting the system from somesort of LIVECD and delete everything except My Documents where all the files are. And also move the My Documents folder to a folder backup on root so it would not interfere with Win7 instalation. And then I would install Win7 and after Win7 is instaled and at the desktop I would move theose files from my documents to appropriate folders on Win7.

What is the best way to acomplish this, and also which LIVECD to use?

You probably aren't going to like my answer, but if that 550 GB of data is important enough to keep, it should be backed up somewhere. A lot of things could go wrong during the install (we've seen them here, and yes some are user error), that the data should be backed up and moved off the drive completely, if it is truly that important. You can get an external USB drive very cheap these days, so my advice would be to pick one up, move your data off, and do the install clean and safely. Then, move your data back, and use something like SyncToy to keep it backed up.

Back