Installing Win 7 from Dvd or Desktop?

Cheezor722

Weaksauce
I'm going from Windows XP -> Windows 7.

Is there a difference between installing Windows 7 from the desktop as opposed to booting from the dvd first? I know the dvd will allow you to partition the drive, but will both ways be a completely "clean" install of the OS? Or are there benefits to partitioning first?

If you do it from the desktop I'm thinking it's going to do the install where it leaves the windows.old folder behind. I don't like that myself.

Best thing to do is back up all your documents and data. Power down the system and unplug any extra hard drives, leaving only the one you are installing on (to help make sure you don't delete the other drives partitions). Boot to the disc and delete the partition you see (the XP drive), then just click on the drive and press next. It will repartition, format and install the OS automatically.

Is neither an option? Turn those files into a bootable 4 GB USB drive, and install it that way. Me personally, I don't ever like to start an OS install from within a running OS. I always install to a blank, unformatted drive.

If you do it from the desktop I'm thinking it's going to do the install where it leaves the windows.old folder behind. I don't like that myself.
If I recall correctly, that's optional. You can do a clean install of 7 right in Windows (that's the way I did it). The Windows.old method is an aspect of the "upgrade" install.

It's been some time since I've installed 7, so I may be mistaken.

I went ahead and installed directly through the OS last night. Things seem ok, but this Windows 7 Home Premium doesn't feel as snappy as my Windows 7 RC did. I still have both installed on this same netbook and there is a significant difference between the two (at least to my eye). Is this to be expected? Does windows 7 self calibrate as time goes on?

Back