Installing Win 10 version 1809 or earlier

vortexware

Weaksauce
I am using the Windows media tool to upgrade to Win 10 from 7 however i am having some issues, is there any way to install an earlier version of Windows vs 1909 which is the latest, lets say the most stable version which is maybe 1803 or 09?

the only way is to have the older version on a thumbdrive to install, and I guess do it without an internet connection.
I did have an earlier install, 1803 I believe but I overwrote it recently when I had to install Windows 10 on 6 machines at a clients office and needed a bunch of thumbdrives with 1909

I'll look and see if there is are older ISO's floating around.

this site looks like it has all the older ISO's
https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php

Ohh yeh i know about that website, does a DVD also work?

If i install an older version like 1803 does the Windows auto install the 1909 or do you manually have to do it? I would prefer to do it manually since i am trying to fix some BSOD issues in 1909

If you install 1803 it'll just nag at you to do windows updates is all, if you pause or disable them it won't pull the updates.

So if i install version 1803 but do not want to go to 1809 or 1903 etc, do i still get regular updates?

1909 I think is the only one you can avoid via normal updates (it has a separate download and install option), the cumulative updates I think go up to 1903 currently.
Regular updates/patches would turn it into 1903 I believe, not sure if you could try to do download only and not install those packages though (unlikely).

I have to try 1803 since i have the blue screen troubleshooter there, i dont know what it does yet but i am hoping it will help, maybe the bsod does not happen in 1803....

So if i install version 1803 but do not want to go to 1809 or 1903 etc, do i still get regular updates?
Nope, you'll get 1909. Starting with 1909 or 2004 (can't remember) the major update will show as separate.

If you want to stick on a version I recommend 1809 or 1909. The fall releases receive updates longer. Then use this tool to hide the 1903 update if choosing 1809, or 2004 (coming out shortly) if using 1909. That should work for you.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info chief, at this point i have no choice but to try 1809 and if that doesnt work i have to wait for 2004 then, i am sure the BSOD is version related, i just popped my Win 7 ssd back in, 0 issues

Thank you for the info chief, at this point i have no choice but to try 1809 and if that doesnt work i have to wait for 2004 then, i am sure the BSOD is version related, i just popped my Win 7 ssd back in, 0 issues

Update all of your drivers manually. I had an issue with some XPS 15‘s that had some dell software updating to drivers that weren’t compatible. Go through all of the drivers on your motherboard manufacturers website and update them 1 by 1.

How do you prevent Windows from upgrading lets say from 1803 to 1909, i dont have the option like Win 7 to tell it to download updares but only install when i want to

Nope, you'll get 1909. Starting with 1909 or 2004 (can't remember) the major update will show as separate.

If you want to stick on a version I recommend 1809 or 1909. The fall releases receive updates longer. Then use this tool to hide the 1903 update if choosing 1809, or 2004 (coming out shortly) if using 1909. That should work for you.

That driver update blocking tool has been around for as long as Windows 10 has been around and in nine out of ten cases it's absolutely useless as it fails to recognize the actual drivers you want to block from updating.

Not using it for the driver, i use it to block version updates, which so far has been working, best way to make sure updates dont autoinstall is to set your connection as Metered

Just get Malware. It's ironic how Malware can stop Windows updates dead in their tracks...

I still run updates boss, i just do it manually, and since my secondary rig BSOD's only in version 1909 i will wait till 2004 to update and see if the bsod is fixed

Back