Installing Thermalright SP-94 Heatsink

Has anyone installed a Thermalright SP-94 heatsink with the "X-plate"? Because of the weight of the all copper heatsink, Thermalright has included an "X-plate" that bolts onto the back of the mobo...well the way they illustrate it in the included instructions doesn't work for me because the plate's rubber padding/insulation ends up hitting some resisters on the back side of the mobo (under the CPU). So I mounted it upside down with the padding touching the case then did a wrap or black electrical tape around the metal x-plate. Anyway, if you've tried mounting this before, let me know because I'm curious as to wether or not the instrutions are wrong or if there is a better way of doing it.

Most motherboards have components on the underside of the CPU socket, the instructions were correct. I've installed this heat sink myself, and while it did make me a little nervous to screw down a heatsink and pull the backplate against the underside of the motherboard, I had no issues with it. The rubber pad is to prevent the components from being crushed, which it does. Hell, I've probably even got mine installed wrong, I tightened the spring screws pretty much all the way down, and it still didn't hurt anything.

Nice choice of a heat sink by the way ;)

That's crazy! Smashing the be'jezus out of those small parts on the underside of the mobo?! Even if I wanted to smash it down to make it fit, my mounting screws aren't long enough because one side of the x-plate it cocked about 30degrees up in the air and about an inch or so away from the underside of the board. Oh well. My backward-installed x-plate coated in electrical tape seems to be working just fine. ;)

i think i have installed 3 sp-94's(maybe a -97 or two also), all with the rubber pad towards the board everytime, and never had to short a fastener with any of them.

I mounted mine differently, I took the springs off the screws, took the bolts off of the backplate, and screwed the screws right down into the backplate...

the reason for that is I took off the IHS (metal cover) on my processor, and it wouldnt sit low enough with the bolts in the backplate

Dont worry about the backplate, the rubber forms to the components after a while... I peeled mine off and stuck a 1/4" square of neoprene down there, incase I want to peltier cool... heh

I have installed an SP94 on 3 different Abit boards. All had components under the rubber pad. I tightened the screws all the way down on every install. Never had a problem. Thermalright knows what they are doing.

Napalm_Fire said:
I mounted mine differently, I took the springs off the screws, took the bolts off of the backplate, and screwed the screws right down into the backplate...

the reason for that is I took off the IHS (metal cover) on my processor, and it wouldnt sit low enough with the bolts in the backplate

Dont worry about the backplate, the rubber forms to the components after a while... I peeled mine off and stuck a 1/4" square of neoprene down there, incase I want to peltier cool... heh

I did the same thing you did bro....I removed the plastic washer from the standoff coz i removed the IHS as well....

Just a thought, dont tighten the standoff too much or youll risk cracking the cpu socket, I did this and left with a dead board........

Henessey

Back