Installing the Recovery Console

djnes

Fully [H]
I see so many people on here with problems that can be fixed or addressed from the recovery console, I thought we could use a post to explain how to install it. I'm surprised more people don't do this.

1) Pop in your XP CD into a CD drive, which we will call X.
2) Go to Start > Run
3) Type: X:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
4) Follow the instructions, and you will now have the recovery console installed.

After this, I go into the Advanced settings of My Computer and change the startup display time to 5 seconds for the boot menu. Hopefully this will help some people. If you have questions, post 'em.

Thanks djnes. I keep forgetting about doing that and when I have, it comes in handy.

Of course this will add the recovery console to the boot loader, so it'll come up as "another OS" to boot from. I would recommend changing your default boot loader time from 30 seconds to something more reasonable like 3-5.

Right-click my computer, prop., advanced, startup and recovery settings, time to display list of OS.

Phoenix86 said:
Of course this will add the recovery console to the boot loader, so it'll come up as "another OS" to boot from. I would recommend changing your default boot loader time from 30 seconds to something more reasonable like 3-5.

Right-click my computer, prop., advanced, startup and recovery settings, time to display list of OS.

Thanks...that's what I meant by the bottom blurb, but your post goes much farther into detail than mine did.

Wow, nice tip. I didn't even know there was an option to install this to hard disk... Thanks!

Back