• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Installing SP-94 with Arctic Silver 5

dj_confus

n00b
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
14
Hi,
I'm planning to install my sp-94 with arctic silver 5. Am I using the right thermal compound?
Here's what they say on the arctic silvers' instructions (http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm)
On an Intel P4 type CPU with a large metal heat spreader, put a small amount of Arctic Silver onto the center of the heat spreader as shown in the photo.
And here's what it says on thermalright's website :
Put a thin, even layer of thermal grease on both the IHS and HSF base.
As I understand it, arctic silver says to pur a small amount in the middle and putting the HSF on it will spread the arctic silver evenly (which seems quite natural). But would that be enough?
'Cause on thermalrights' insctions it says I should put a thin layer ont the HSF(which think is the heatsink) and the IHS(which I'm assuming its the CPU's heatspreader).
I'm not quite sure where and how to put the arctic silver.
Any pointers/advice would be much appreciated. :D

Thanks!
 
put a little bit on the HSF, then rub it in with a plastic bag or your finger
then put a little bit on the CPU, then spread it out evenly with a credit card
 
Originally posted by ST|FFY
put a little bit on the HSF, then rub it in with a plastic bag or your finger
then put a little bit on the CPU, then spread it out evenly with a credit card

What he said, although some will advise against using a finger...skin oils, cells, etc interfering with the TIM's ability to transfer.


I also like the flat edged toothpicks for spreading compound.
 
I would say it depends on the CPU. If you have a P4 or Athlon 64 just put a drop on the middle of the CPU.. Seatht the heatsink.. attach the heatsink and then wiggle the heat sink. You can also rub some on the heat sink but in my opinion it is worthless.
 
But a little on the cpu(heatplate) and spread with a toothpick or a cc. Do not use to much, but Arctic Silver 5 would be a good choice.
 
I wouldn't spread the thermal compound if I had a CPU with IHS... spreading incorporates air pockets. Letting the heatsink spread the thermal compound insures more even distribution.
 
Listen to _Korruption_ and Arkanian.

If our instructions say not to spread AS5 on a P4, don't you think that's because a little dab in the middle works best? ;)

If you insist on spreading it, your temps will be higher and since you will use more AS5, our sales will go up. ;)

Colin Thompson
Arctic Silver, Inc.
 
I would always go with the instructions on the AS website as they better know how their product works than any other manufacturer or person. Except maybe the guy who works there. Who just posted. So I'm a little late. Whatever. Listen to that guy.
 
arc dats what I have done :D too...put only a dot of that thing...swab it 1-2 degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise
 
Back
Top