Installing Software Problem. Easy for you, impossible for me (linux)

holdeN

Limp Gawd
Hello all. Linux newb here. Kinda. I know the basics. How to move around the filesystem, untar stuff, etc. Just the basics that you learn from running a webserver for a couple of years. But I have the hardest times when it comes to installing new software.

I'm using Rackspace and running Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 2.1 (Panama).

I'm trying to get this utility gif2png to work for a PHP image uploading script. I have GD 2.0.15 with PNG support installed. Dont know if that matters.

Anyways. I try installing the gif2png RPM with "rpm -ivh gif2png.rpm". And it comes back with this error..
Code:
libpng12.so.0   is needed by gif2png-2.5.1-1
So. I wanted to see if I had libpng installed. So I ran this command..
Code:
rpm -q -a | grep libpng
Now, I dont know if this is the right command or not. I just found it on a website. I'm guessing it tells me what version of libpng I have installed? Anyways.. it returns..
Code:
libpng-devel-1.0.14-7
libpng-1.0.14-7
So this means I have libpng installed? But the latest verison out right now is libpng-1.2.7. SO, Im thinking maybe the gif2png.rpm needs the latest version for it to work?

So I downloaded the latest libpng rpm and ran it. It scrolled all the lines of text, etc. No errors. And I run the command that I think is to check to see what version of libpng I have installed..
Code:
rpm -q -a | grep libpng
And it prints out the old version again.

So. (1) If that command is the proper way to check what version of the software I have installed. Why is this new libpng not being installed? And (2) If it doesnt matter what version of libpng I have, how come I cant get the gif2png rpm to notice that I have libpng installed.

Also, I have an older version of zlib. I tried the source and rpm install of the latest.. but using that command to check the versions... it says I still have the old one.

So if anyone could give me pointers on how to diagnosis problems like this.. it would be greatly appreciated. It's more than just this libpng problem.. I feel like Ill run into probs like this again in the future if I dont understand the workings of how installs work on linux better.

P.S. 1 - I tried up2date. It doesnt work.
P.S. 2 - Does anyone know if gif2png is the best way to get user uploaded gifs on your server. And does GD not have a solution, why do I have to install this extra gif2png utility?

Back