Installing software across all accounts

Whitebread

[H]ard|Gawd
Using the admin account, I want to be able to install all software across ass the accounts on my local computer. This includes icons on teh desktop and on the start menu. I'm sorry for teh noob question.

normally the installation process asks if you would like to install it for one user or all users.

Make sure you select all users.

as a side note, if you want to add icons or universal settings to the system that all users will see make changes to the "All Users" profile "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users".

Look at that directory structure and you can figure it out from there.

I've installed 2K pro on 3 different computers. In installing software on these computers, never once have a gotten a notice asking me if I want to install for all accounts or just the admin. I've tried installing programs using the intaller and using "add/remove programs" and I've never gotten the notice.

Thanks for the setting advice.

Whitebread said:
I've installed 2K pro on 3 different computers. In installing software on these computers, never once have a gotten a notice asking me if I want to install for all accounts or just the admin. I've tried installing programs using the intaller and using "add/remove programs" and I've never gotten the notice.

Thanks for the setting advice.

It really depends on the software being installed, some software developers were smart enough to prompt for if the program should be installed for a single user vs all users while many others are still have not gotten themselves away from developing based on a 9x system where it didn't matter.

SJConsultant said:
It really depends on the software being installed, some software developers were smart enough to prompt for if the program should be installed for a single user vs all users while many others are still have not gotten themselves away from developing based on a 9x system where it didn't matter.
Well, is there anyway I can install ALL programs across all accounts. Or at least always have the option. I tend to use alot of free/shareware as I don't really have money for retail alternativies.

Whitebread said:
Well, is there anyway I can install ALL programs across all accounts. Or at least always have the option. I tend to use alot of free/shareware as I don't really have money for retail alternativies.

If it does not install across all accounts then use FrothyByte's advice to move the icons and associate menu items from the admin folders to the all users folders under "documents and settings". While programs may work correctly under the admin account, not all programs will work under a regular user accounts

I've installed some programs with the /v"allusers=2" switch before, that installs those packages across all users. I'm not sure if the switch is XP or just for that package, give it a shot and let us know. ;)
The syntax is:
start>run type
[drive]\path to program\program.exe /v"allusers=2"

The quotes are needed

[edit] Need to be logged in with an account that has permission to install programs[/edit]

Back