Installing Screen in case

J_I_M_B_O

Limp Gawd
If I were to install a some sort of monitor (not nesisarily a computer monitor) would I have to attach it by soldering it to the dideo card or somthing or is it simpler that that?

No, I mean if I were to use a screen not intended for use with a computer. Like say a one of those portable dvd player screens

note that frozencpu has
89 In Stock, Ships Today Till 6pm EST
that many.... i think that you can find it for less money elsewhere because they would not have that many if it cost them even close to that much, its probably more like 50$ elsewhere.

Those psone screens are too much of a hassle.

First if you want to use vga, you either have to solder tiny pinpoints, or cut wires and solder to a connector. Then you have to use powerstrip to get it to work. Each screen is different so you have to modify the setting to actually get a decent looking screen.

The picture you get isnt all that great (if any) better than the composite connector. Plus you gotta get a radioshack adaptor.

Get a liliput or Xenarac and mod it. Uses 12v.

~¥~ßLÅÇK~ÇîrǵT~¥~ said:
Those psone screens are too much of a hassle.

First if you want to use vga, you either have to solder tiny pinpoints, or cut wires and solder to a connector. Then you have to use powerstrip to get it to work. Each screen is different so you have to modify the setting to actually get a decent looking screen.

The picture you get isnt all that great (if any) better than the composite connector. Plus you gotta get a radioshack adaptor.

Get a liliput or Xenarac and mod it. Uses 12v.

I did the psone screen mod and its not hard. Its a little time consuming but its cheaper than the screens you mentioned. Those liliput and xenarc screens range from 250-400. That's expensive. The psone screen costs 40 and a cheap video card for 40. So the whole mod costs less than 100.

I was at the PX today and saw a 5" monitor intended to hook up to gaming consoles and DVD players. Pretty cheap to like 50 bucks. I bet thats what you're talking about no?

I just got done buying a brand new PS monitor (sony) for 40 bucks on eBay. That quality is great!! I know the aftermarket versions of the monitors suck. I saw my friend use it and ughh. :)

There are options between the PSOne screen mod and liliput/xenarc. Just look on eBay and pay attention to the input and screen resolution. I found a 7" screen that fit perfect in my WaveMaster and hooked up easily to my vid card.

Mine is a bare 6" lcd (mainly used for mobile video applications) from partsexpress.com and it came w/ connectors already, so all you really have to solder is the bare power wire onto a molex plug.

DSC01984.JPG

DSC01986.JPG

DSC01999.JPG

samurize_light.JPG

wow, what program is that running that displays the temps and everything? It's hot... also, I couldn't find that bare screen on the website. How much does she run? Sounds easier than the PS mod.

the program is samurize . The screen used to be around $140 ish, it's now like $168 . Yea the mod is really easy to do. You'll have to make your own bezel like I did, or figure out another way to make it look/fit good.

laozx said:
the program is samurize . The screen used to be around $140 ish, it's now like $168 . Yea the mod is really easy to do. You'll have to make your own bezel like I did, or figure out another way to make it look/fit good.

laozx, what config is that you're running on samurize? I haven't seen that one before--one of your own creation? Is so you mind sharing?

laozx said:
Mine is a bare 6" lcd (mainly used for mobile video applications) from partsexpress.com and it came w/ connectors already, so all you really have to solder is the bare power wire onto a molex plug.

DSC01984.JPG

DSC01986.JPG

DSC01999.JPG

samurize_light.JPG
NICE!!!... im kinda tempted to do the same.... is that cool?

laozx said:

DSC01984.JPG

what resolution does that run at?

Wow sweet little program. I'm doing the finishing touches on my LCD mod and I'm going to love playing with this. I hadn't found anything else like it. I've just been using widgets on the LCD, but this will be much better.

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Anyways thanks for all the compliments. I'm runnign the display at 1024x768 res. so that you can see more of the background wallpaper.

It's my own custom samurize config file that I made. I had to make it fit for 10x7, it's quite large because it's really hard to read text on the lcd.

willi - I can email you my config file if u want, you just have to change the values on some of the meters.

UnInvisible, another program you might like is konfabulator, its a lot like samurize, has all the same featuers.

laozx--ygpm!

For everyone else, I would highly recommend Samurize over some of the others simply because it uses fewer systems resources. The learning curve is a little steeper than some of the others, but it's well worth it. The progam is highly customizable and there's already a ton of configurations out there that other users are sharing. In short, the program rocks!

blink.jpg

thats what i have samurize running on my little 320x200 native LCD. just threw the config together real quick. prolly going to replace the A64 logo with drive space indicators. we got temps from rivatuner and speedfan, voltages and rpms from speedfan, a few indicators from perfmon, a clock and a fraps counter to round it off! not too shabby for 30mins work! SAMURIZE ROX!
here is a really bad pic of the same screen in an old boxen.
Picture_001.jpg

yea not bad ctrl_alt_del. You can do so much with that program. I gonna make another one for my desktop, because I can't run the lcd the same time I'm running SLI,which kinda sucks. I'm still messing around with the program to see what other cool stuff you can do on it

Can't you get a 3rd graphics card and use it to run on the screen? Like a good pci card.

yea that would be my only option, but I don't really want to get another card right now. hehehe.

so would this be possible?

1. My video card has Dual DVI + 1 TV Out.
2. 1 DVI goes to my monitor, and TV Out goes to my TV already.
3. 1 DVI left. Can i do this? would it work?

lcd-screen.jpg

just run the desktop on your primary monitor at the same res you run the games at. the tv out works fine while gaming that way. i run it all off of 1 7800gt but have been doing it since my Ti4200

Ctrl_Alt_Delete said:
just run the desktop on your primary monitor at the same res you run the games at. the tv out works fine while gaming that way. i run it all off of 1 7800gt but have been doing it since my Ti4200

no.. that's not what i'm worried about. I was wondering if it's possible to go from DVI to VGA to RCA strung together like that. with all those adapters.

if it works its a huge drop in signal quality i would imagine. do you not have tv out?
nm reread what you posted.... give it a try i doubt it would hurt anything. make sure to have powerstrip handy to work out the timings.

mushrooms said:
so would this be possible?

1. My video card has Dual DVI + 1 TV Out.
2. 1 DVI goes to my monitor, and TV Out goes to my TV already.
3. 1 DVI left. Can i do this? would it work?

lcd-screen.jpg
The only problem I can see is the lack of a male cord going from the adapter to the LCD screen

ohh, i wonder if that will work.

Okay the way I have mine set, is lcd >> male-male composite cable >> composite-to-svideo adapter >> svideo cable >> 7800gt dongle. Reason why I had to do all that is because the 7800gt dongle doesn't have a composite input, only svideo.

Mushroom let me know if that vga to rca adapter works.

I might just end up picking up a cheap pci card w/ svideo out so I can keep sli and the lcd at the same time

I've been kicking the idea around for some time now, and I found this the other day...
Now this guy says he got his out of a game cube screen, but I got the VERY same LCD screen out of an PlayStation 2 (Intec) Mobile Monitor which i bought from walmart for 43 bucks pluls shipping...check this out and enjoy... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69538
THe only thing that might be a problem is getting it to display correctly, going to use a progeram called POWERSTRIP...see if that helps any...

Hami makes some great small true VGA screens that can be used with computers, there easily modded and did I mention the true VGA, just do a search for "Hami" on E-Bay and you will find them. I am planning on getting one soon just for this reason, to mod it into my case!

Back