Installing/repair XP from another partition with a 2nd XPPro OS HD

JimB

n00b
I have a laptop HD where I couldn't access my C (20Gb). The HD was divided in 2 partitions : C and D. So with the help of a PartMagic setup diskette I managed to free some 2Gb space on the D partition and created a third partition E behind the D. From my installation CD I installed with the help of my internal DVD-Rom player another OS XPPro on the E. From within my E partition I could access my C and managed to save all my data and exported that to an ext. drive. Now I want to make a repair installation on my C (some 4kB of data was corrupt and I couldn't login). Only problem is my built-in DVD-Rom player suddenly can't read my installation CD any more; and my bios doesn't support USB. So I can't install the OS from boot directly on the C partition. When I put the installation CD however in an external DVD drive that I access from within my E there's no problem starting the XP setup installation. However can I overinstall (repair) my damaged C partition from within my E partition ? Will this work ? Which steps should I choose to make the repair on the C partition from within the active E partition ?

I think you can run the update.exe from within Windows, and then it should load the files you need. Then it will reboot and begin the normal install process.

I think you mean "setup.exe". Oh ye it starts and I get the CD-Ronm installation menu; I'm only afraid it's not gonna install on the right partition.

I'm only afraid it's not gonna install on the right partition.

It sounds like it's your only real option at this point anyhow, so if it installs on a partition other than the one you desire, once it's done installing you can use a utility like GParted (or maybe Partition Magic, I don't know because I don't use it) to re-size and move the partition it did install on.

Not exactly because I want to do a repair installation on the other partition with the OS XPPro on it and that I can only access in safe mode.

Back