Installing ram, need help

backflipper

Limp Gawd
I just got some 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 CL9 250 pin Kingston ram. My issue is, the computer will boot up with one stick of the ram (either stick works), but will not boot with both sticks.

The computer is a few years old, with the following components:

• ASRock H55M Pro motherboard
  • Intel I3 3 ghz processor
  • Previously had 2 x 1GB sticks of RAM, which still work when I replace the new ram.
  • Windows 7 64 bit

In the bios I have updated the "XMP" setting to be configured for the 1600 ram at 1.65 volts (which is what is specified for the ram.

What am I missing here?

#1. Load Default values in BIOS and try again.
#2. Just because the computer boots doesn't mean the memory is good. Run a memtest of each module.

Okay, I set the bios to default. Inserted one stick of the new ram (with no other ram). I checked the bios settings to ensure it was being recognized, which it was. Single channel 4 ghz ram was recognized.

I exit bios and it tries to start windows, blue screens, then restarts.

I try to run memtest, and it just sits there, chugging away at 0%.

Do I just have bad ram? Both sticks act the same. Old ram still works.

I'm making sure I have the most recent bios now.

Thanks everyone. I ended up giving up, returning the ram, and ordering some that was on the list of approved ram for the motherboard. I'm still not sure if it was bad ram, or just not compatible.

I don't think those Kingstons were made with CLK9 chips but CLK11, at best, and more likely 1333 MHz.

It seems Kingston can be talked into replacing bad RAM with higher quality RAM that looks like the original but passed more stringent testing.

If it's failing memtest and BSOD at stock settings (not XMP), then it's faulty RAM. There is the off chance that the motherboard or the CPU is faulty, but the chances of RAM being faulty is much higher.

Back