installing operating system issue

Clemo

Limp Gawd
So I have a laptop with a bad drive, i reinstalled a new drive, how do I get it to format windows 8 on it? I was no provided a key or a CD so this makes it a little awkward. Any help appreciated. Thank you

The old drive does not work at all, so there is no way to recover anything from it.

You're going to need installation media; probably a CD will be the easiest. And you'll also need a product key. Once you have both, boot from the CD, enter the key, and choose your hard drive for the installation location...

it's all pretty straight forward.

there is no product key provided anywhere, i know i tried to pull it will jellybean before but it said that that serial key could not be used for the image. There was no installation media provided, and the only way to download the image from their website you need a product key, yet the product key i pulled using the jellybean keyfinder (since they didnt provide a product key anywhere) doesn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks

Is this an OEM system (Dell, HP, Gateway)? The key is typically hard coded into the system so using the OEM install disc will pull the key automatically. The system should have come with a utility for creating restore discs and windows 8 can also create a system recovery image. All of this should have been prior to now.

If you can find someone with an OEM disc it should work to do the install, otherwise contact the manufacturer and order new discs.

You will need an OEM install disk. Try to contact the laptop manufacturer.

yeah its with MSI. I guess I will have to contact them, thanks for the help broskis.

Back