Installing new video card makes TV tuner card disappear?

Liekomg

Limp Gawd
I'm really at a loss here. My friend just purchased one of those Gateway refurb systems with a Q6600, 3gb ram, tv tuner, etc for $450. Overall an excellent deal. Just pop in a modern video card, and you got a great gaming machine for cheap.

We picked up a 9600GT and I installed it in the free PCIE slot to take over the built in intel intergrated graphics. However, once installed, the TV tuner card simply disappeared - it no longer shows up in device manager at all. If I pull out the video card, the TV tuner reappears! I'm not really sure whats wrong, but I had assumed it was perhaps some kind of IRQ conflict (do those even exist anymore?). The TV tuner is installed in a nearby PCIE 1x slot. I would try the card in another PCIE slot, but there are only 2 1x slots, and the other is blocked by the video cards HSF.

Just for fun, I installed an older 8500GT, and low and behold, the TV tuner works. Only with the 9600GT does it vanish. Is it possible that the 9600GT is pulling too much power? The PSU is a quality 400w, but I would assume there would be stability issues if it was the PSU, and not just components vanishing.

Anyone have any idea or things I can check?

Back