installing new MB, programs too?

Before you install all your programs again, must replace them without C drive, if you have multiple drive.
 
Usually you can replace the motherboard you will be able to take your hard drive with your OS and programs on it and boot into Windows without any issues. You will have to install all the drivers that aren't automatically detected and there will be remnants of the past motherboard drivers in the registry and other places.

Ideally re-installing your OS and programs after any major changes is the best way to go, but you can usually get away without any problems by changing out the components and updating the drivers as needed.
 
What do you mean by changing out the components, are you talking hardware? And do I need to do anything about the old registry settings and drivers?
 
What do you mean by changing out the components, are you talking hardware? And do I need to do anything about the old registry settings and drivers?

I've installed new MBs and Windows detected the changes and worked ok. Make sure to check device manager afterwards because you may have some things that won't install on their own. I don't remember exactly but there were several PCI and system BUS devices that weren't installed correctly when I went from my old Athlon to my Q6600. I ended up just going ahead with a wipe and fresh install.

Win 7 seems much better than XP about this so you may be okay.
 
if your going form a intel chipset mb to another intel chipset mb then i wouldnt reinstall. if your going from an amd mb to a intel mb then i would reinstall.
 
if your going form a intel chipset mb to another intel chipset mb then i wouldnt reinstall. if your going from an amd mb to a intel mb then i would reinstall.

This is good advise. I have had relative good luck when changing out MB with same manufacture chip set and not having to reinstall the operating system. Have had no luck when trying to go from Intel to AMD, or AMD to Intel, etc,
 
^--- Agreed.

I don't even bother if I'm changing platforms, but when I did the GA-X58A-UD3R to P6X58D swap I didn't reinstall. Only had a few minor hiccups.
 
Back
Top