installing gpu driver on another HDD OS

dragnandy

Limp Gawd
So I have a bad GPU driver (HD4870) on one of my HDD. I updated the drivers for the video card and it crapped out on me. I get the black screen and mouse cursor issue. I also have a year-old HDD that still works, but all the files are a year old..

I was wondering if I could update/downgrade the GPU driver on the bad HDD OS, while I'm running on the good/old HDD.

Not sure if this should be in the OS section, or Video Card section. Please move if it isn't in the right place.

Nope. Black screen. I read ctrl+alt+del and ending the process of some stuff would fix it, but I can't bring up the task manager.

I'm almost certain it is the driver, too. I just can't figure out how to install a driver on another OS, rather than the current running OS.

does your cpu have an integrated gpu? you can remove the card and boot with the integrated video.

try any other video card on the old os and see if windows does an auto detect? and falls back to the default ones?

manually replace the driver files? :eek:

I tried using the new gpu on the old OS but since it still has the faulty drivers installed, it will not let windows boot up. =[

How would I replace the driver files? And wouldn't I have to add/delete some stuff from the registry?

What version of Windows?

Which version of Catalyst did you install? Was it 14.4 or 14.9? I've been reading a bit and 14.4 was particularly bad due to some issue with AHCI.

14.4 issue GPU-602
14.9 issue GPU-141002

The best, and maybe only, solution in these cases are to boot to Safe Mode and remove the drivers. If you are using Windows 8.x and have an SSD, things changed and you might not be able to get into Safe Mode in the usual way of pressing keys on the keyboard. Here's a walkthrough of the alternatives. You will probably need to go to option 4, "Boot from a System Reovery Memory Stick".

hm, i forget exactly which Catalyst I have. After I updated Catalyst drivers and the gpu driver, things went alittle downhill. I cannot boot in safemode, same issue. I can tell that the resolution has changed because I can see the cursor, and it is alot larger. but I still cannot access anything inside windows

I am currently trying to get a Windows disc so I can attempt a system restore, but I doubt that is going to work. Is there a way I can uninstall or update GPU drivers on an OS that I am not current running on, but have access to the HDD?

I'll ask again, which version of Windows? If you have WIndows 8.x, you may need to use a System Recovery USB stick to get the PC to boot into Safe Mode; did you try that method?

I'm running Windows 7. I just tried yesterday to use a USB recovery stick. Then I tried doing a system repair and system recovery. The repair didn't detect an error, System Recovery ran into an error when I tried to restore and did not work. I might just have to try and grab all the files on the HDD and reinstall a clean OS on it.

Are not actually able to boot into safemode?

Safemode uses a generic VGA driver. You can then uninstall and then install whatever graphics driver.

Back