Installing Games Card and Workstation Card on the Same Computer

Anduril66

n00b
If you use your home computer as a graphics workstation and a gaming computer, can you install a gaming card and a workstation card in the same tower and use some sort of switch to switch between them. Alternatively, could one use a card and quickly change the firmware to switch between game processing and graphics processing?

Fairly sure you can install a gaming card and a workstation card in the same machine without major issue, yes. Under XP or Windows 7 they could even be different chipset vendors (ATI and Nvidia coexisting). Under Vista they would have to be from the same vendor -- both ATI or both Nvidia based.

As for your switch, I see no reason why you couldn't use a DVI switch (~$30 via Monoprice.com) to choose which card you're using on a display. As for how this would affect performance, since you'd be mirroring output so the process would be seamless, I'm not certain.

I don't "think" that it would be an issue, but not sure how well the drivers will react to each other if the cards are the same brand since they'll essentially be the same drivers, but one optimized for a quadro/firegl

Why not just use a gaming card full time? I don't think you'll see too much of a difference in most cases. What software are you running?

Why not just use a gaming card full time? I don't think you'll see too much of a difference in most cases. What software are you running?
I'm only using Photoshop and Flash right now, but I might try Maya or Premiere Pro in the future. Yeah, I think I'll only get a gaming card for now; I was more curious in case I might need in the future.

As for your switch, I see no reason why you couldn't use a DVI switch (~$30 via Monoprice.com) to choose which card you're using on a display. As for how this would affect performance, since you'd be mirroring output so the process would be seamless, I'm not certain.
I don't "think" that it would be an issue, but not sure how well the drivers will react to each other if the cards are the same brand since they'll essentially be the same drivers, but one optimized for a quadro/firegl
Oh thanks, I hadn't thought of those. I learned a lot.

Vista doesn't allow two different drivers to run at the same time. This may apply to a workstation card's drivers versus a gaming card's drivers even if they are the same brand. Windows 7 is intended to allow it, though, and that will probably be out before you need your workstation card.

Back