Installing Folding on a *nix router?

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
I got Endian installed...install not as intuitive as IPCop...but once up and running..I like the more modern, smoother interface better. Endian comes with more features than base IPCop..it's like IPCop with the Copfilter add-on.

Anyways..back to my post..I hate setting a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz sitting there most of the day/night doing nothing...I know pretty much nil about *nix...but is it reasonably simple to add a Folding instance to a *nix router? My folding farm as been on a downware spiral..I'd like to use this to help beef it up.

It's pretty straightforward. Just download the executable from the f@h website and run it. I believe the first time you run it, it will ask you to configure it. Then after that it just runs. If you want it to run on startup(which I assume you'll want to do), you can put it in a startup script. Not sure how Endian handles that sort of stuff, so you'll have to look that up.

Yes you can do it. It will take some work. First, I don't think the firewall rules on the box won't allow it out. Second, you have to get it installed. Third, you need to make it start up automatically. I believe I saw an add on for IPcop that installed and configured F@H. If you don't know much about Linux, this is going to be a fairly large task. Also, there have been bugs and vulnerabilitys for the F@H clients. It's generally a good idea to have as little as posible running on a firewall for security purposes.

Back