Installing CPU Cooler, Replace Stock MoBo Bracket?

tackyjan

n00b
Joined
Jul 29, 2014
Messages
61
Hello All,

I am trying to install a Cooler Master Geminii M4 CPU cooler on my new MSI A88M GAMING motherboard and I have a question about the mounting plate/bracket that comes with the M4 (the one that goes on the bottom side of the motherboard):

m4_mount_zpsda97bf24.png


The MSI motherboard came with the following bracket:

stock_plate_zps68f87f8c.png




stock_plate_attached_zps2f78ed10.png


Do I need to remove the stock bracket and replace it with the M4 bracket (If so, I am a bit concerned about the fact that it sits right on top of the motherboard and might scratch, damage, etc.

Or do I somehow mount the M4 bracket inside/around the one that's already there? It kinda fits inside the stock one but the elevated "ribs" that run across it keep the M4 bracket from sitting flush.

Thank you,

Jan
 
Best thing to do would be to follow the instructions that should have come with it. FM2+ is the same as AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+.
 
Well, it still clearly shows putting the retention plate in place of the stock plate.
 
Well, it still clearly shows putting the retention plate in place of the stock plate.

Yeah :) I was just a bit worried about the fact that the new plate will sit right up against the motherboard and was thinking there might be something like a thin protector (like foam, etc.) that I could put in between them to protect the motherboard. It's a new motherboard and I am picky about my stuff. :)
 
if you are worried about it touching the board, you could always put some nylon washers at the mounting points to add some space between the board and the bracket. Just don't try to space it out too far.
 
Back
Top