Installing connectors on cat5?

Jbroad572

Limp Gawd
Where can I get the connectors for the cat5 cable? Does it matter what kind I buy? What tool will I need? Any simple online guides?
I know this isn't difficult, but just wanting to make sure.

You can buy any type of RJ45 end connector, it really doesn't matter. They are about 40 cents each. You will need to buy crimpers though. The price range could vary from 15 to 25 bucks.
Guide:
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm

...It looks a bit complicated but you can do it. First, you need to decide what type of cable you need:
Crossover- pc to pc, hub to switch, xbox to xbox
straight-through- pc to hub, pc to switch, pc to router
either- router to hub, router to switch

Then find the diagram and begin ordering the wires as shown.

Hope this helps,
...Dan

For the most part, unless you need custom lengths, making cat5 yourself really isn't worth the time. I do have the cabling, jacks, and tools myself, but once again I use it only for custom cables. Cables on line are damn cheap anymore, although still horrible in retail stores.

Darkstar850 said:
For the most part, unless you need custom lengths, making cat5 yourself really isn't worth the time. I do have the cabling, jacks, and tools myself, but once again I use it only for custom cables. Cables on line are damn cheap anymore, although still horrible in retail stores.
I don't need to make custom cables, just have to put the connectors on pre installed cat 5 cables.

Dan17 said:
You can buy any type of RJ45 end connector, it really doesn't matter. They are about 40 cents each. You will need to buy crimpers though. The price range could vary from 15 to 25 bucks.
Guide:
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm

...It looks a bit complicated but you can do it. First, you need to decide what type of cable you need:
Crossover- pc to pc, hub to switch, xbox to xbox
straight-through- pc to hub, pc to switch, pc to router
either- router to hub, router to switch

Then find the diagram and begin ordering the wires as shown.

Hope this helps,
...Dan

Hmm, I tell you what. THe house was prewired, so I would imagine they would have used the straight through option. I just need to get the connectors installed on the bundle (phone lines, coax, and cat5) of wires they left under the stairs. After the connectors are on they will be connected to my 4 port router then from there they are already ran to each room. In each room the jacks are installed and ready to be used.

Female connectors are easy. Buy 'em in 10 or 25 packs at Home Depot for under $10 bucks. You can find a cheap push down tool for abuot $5 and then just use a knife to trim the excess. You can also buy a modular panel to snap the connectors into for less than $20, but that's entirely cosmetic and optional. Velcro strapping will do just as good a job.

The most important thing to know is which wiring standard they used at the other end of the wires. There are two standards, T568A and T568B, and it doesn't matter which one you use so long as you use the same at both ends. Most female jacks will have an "A" and "B" color chart running down each side. It's important to understand that therer are really two charts and you need to only follow one. Once you get that, the rest is gravy. Also, make sure that the pairs remain twisted as far into the jack as possible. Google on T568A or T568B and you'll find a lot more useful information.

Back