Installing Android on HP Touchpad

RoGuE1230

Limp Gawd
My dad still uses his Touchpad daily, but he has been complaining lately that a lot of stuff doesn't load correctly or isn't compatible with WebOS anymore. So I've been thinking about putting Android on it. I did it once before on another TP, but this was back when it was still Gingerbread or Honeycomb. I remember it being buggy and having battery drain. I'm not sure where to look any more, to find out what is the most recent stable version to install. Anyone have experience with this?

What isn't loading / compatible?

The android installs are a bit messy to get into, but considering the circumstance, the devs have done an amazing job. An introduction (hopefully I'll come back with links tomorrow, but it's all on the XDA Touchpad Development forum):

Touchpad Toolbox is the primary utility used to initially resize volumes ("partitions") and clean-install ROMs (can use TWRP/CWM like normal to update ROMs afterward). I believe older TWRP/CWM recoveries are used for compatibility, and ROM and GAPP packages must follow a naming convention (so some renaming may be required) to be recognized. Instructions are in the thread.

Android 5.0X ROMs are available, but I haven't tested them yet. My 2x touchpads worked best on either Milaq's or JcSullin's CM11 Android 4.4.4 Kitkat ROMs. I think I have a preference for the Milaq ROM. I noticed that Milaq has thus far stayed with the 3.0 Kernel (as opposed to 3.4) for Android 5.0X. Many have had problems with the 3.4 kernel, I wonder what the status is now.

I remember using an older Netflix APK for compatibility, but I haven't tried Netflix in so long... don't know the current status. Youtube works fine. You'll probably lose the camera.

I had a few too many issues with the AOSP Evervolv ROM, but it also works. I actually had the best idle battery drain on Evervolv 4.3. I had left it alone for 7+ days on several occasions and it was still usable. I'm not sure I can do that now.

With either CM11 or AOSP, it isn't perfect. I get a random reboot once in a while, but it's reliable enough that my mother happily plays her "3's" game on it.

I run an overclock at 1.728Ghz. The rebooting I experience is not caused by this, but some Touchpads will need to settle for 1.6Ghz or so.

I'll attempt an upgrade when Android 5.1 CM12 ROMs are released.

Reddit has an HP Touchpad page... looks like I can use the LCD as a monitor for $40 to $50... heh...

Edit: Looks like Touchpad ToolBox has been updated, so newer recoveries can be used. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2756314 - TP Toolbox

Last edited:
I've just recently picked up a touchpad and had installed the Evervol lollypop rom on it. the only thing I didn't like was I wasn't able to figure out how to use it as an external drive when attached to a pc. With CM11 when connected to a pc it shows up as hp touchpad. Like to know if anyone has tried the Pacman kitkat rom? Would like to know how much difference between it and CM11.

I personally did not like PACman ROM. The Touchpad has a scant 1GB of RAM, and all the extra options in PAC seemed to consume more of it by default than other CM11 ROMs.

Back