Installing Alternate OS on crashed XP comp

cormack

n00b
I have a computer that ran Windows XP home edition, until it got a virus (I suspect) and now logs out instantly when you log on. It does this even if you are the administrator, and even if you use safe mode. I'm pretty sure its a virus because the computer was slowing down and starting to have what I believe were spyware related problems prior to engaging in this log in/log out cycle. I'd rule out heating issues since the computer doesn't actually power off when it does this.

I can't reinstall windows since i lost the XP disc, and I recently tried using the "ultimate boot disc" (free software) on it to see what that would do. Unfortunatley that didn't work because i couldn't get the computer to boot from the CD-rom, even if i changed the boot order in the BIOS, and even if i pressed the pause key during start-up as to allow the CD-rom to catch up to the booting of the computer.

So now what I'm wondering is if its possible to somehow install an alternate OS on the computer, keeping in mind i don't have a windows XP disc, and I have no way of logging in to the computer. Would I have to try a bootable CD with the alternate OS on it? is that possible?

Any input would be Heavily heavliy appreciated.

If you have a legit serial for windows, borrow an install disk from a friend and use your serial, its pretty legal as far as i know :D

oldmx

Some computers have key or key-combo that you can press to get it to boot from a CD. Sometimes F12, and maybe Ctrl+C, or maybe something else.

You might be able to use a boot manager to force it to boot to CD. Of course you need to have enough access to get the manager installed to begin with. Have you tried booting to a command prompt?
http://btmgr.webframe.org/

If you manage to get it to boot from a CD, and want to try an OS other than Windows, Ubuntu is very nice, and something I don't hesitate to endorse whenever possible.
http://ubuntu.com

Are you sure you burned the UBCD correctly? A virus wouldn't stop your computer from botting from the CD. Also, what OldMX said is perfectly legal....as long as you use your key.

OldMX said:
If you have a legit serial for windows, borrow an install disk from a friend and use your serial, its pretty legal as far as i know :D

oldmx

Thats interesting, i didn't know this was legal or possible. I'll have to think about that, but the thing is I don't have the serial since I lost it along with the win XP cd. However I think I read somewhere that there are floppy boot programs that could find my serial for me... anyone else know about that? Well thanks for the input, i highly appreciate it.

Langford said:
Some computers have key or key-combo that you can press to get it to boot from a CD. Sometimes F12, and maybe Ctrl+C, or maybe something else.

You might be able to use a boot manager to force it to boot to CD. Of course you need to have enough access to get the manager installed to begin with. Have you tried booting to a command prompt?
http://btmgr.webframe.org/

If you manage to get it to boot from a CD, and want to try an OS other than Windows, Ubuntu is very nice, and something I don't hesitate to endorse whenever possible.
http://ubuntu.com

I'll keep those key combinations in mind, i didn't know about that. Unfortunately i can't boot from a command prompt, I tried all the selections from the screen accessed by pressing F8 and all of them have the same result. I'll keep Ubuntu in mind for my next troubleshooting round. Thanks for help, I greatly appreciate it.

djnes said:
Are you sure you burned the UBCD correctly? A virus wouldn't stop your computer from botting from the CD. Also, what OldMX said is perfectly legal....as long as you use your key.

My brother burned it, he said he used the correct programs. I'll try burning it again though, and try using those key combos on it... mabye the Cd-rom itself is bad, I'm not sure. Well i'll also definitley keep what OldMX said in mind if its perfectly legal, but with that route I still need to figure out what my serial is. My copy of XP is legit too, I bought it straight from the store, I just have to find that serial. Well thanks for the help, I greatly greatly appreciate it.

cormack said:
I'll keep those key combinations in mind, i didn't know about that. Unfortunately i can't boot from a command prompt, I tried all the selections from the screen accessed by pressing F8 and all of them have the same result. I'll keep Ubuntu in mind for my next troubleshooting round. Thanks for help, I greatly appreciate it.

In all honesty the whole logging off thing sounds like someone's tried to disable product activation and botched it.

Back