Installing a Wireless Router downstream from Modem/Router combo.

wubism

n00b
I am a hardware guy. In other words I am completely clueless on networks. :(

I have a buddy who owns a bar and wants to install a unsecure wireless router for his customers downstream from his SBCGlobal ATT Modem/Wireless Router combo.

I am completely stumped as to how to do this.

Modem/Router Combo: Actiontec GT724WG

Downstream Unsecure Wireless Router: D-Link DIR-651

He says has 3 static ips for the modem, and 1 of the network cables coming from the modem directly into the D-Link Router. I first attempted to just plug it into the uplink, and let DCHP do its magic, but I had no luck with that. I could connect to the router but it didn't have internet.

So I restarted the downstream router, and plugged the network cable into the 1st port, and suddenly I had internet on the wireless but it would constantly go up and down, and ping times were extreme erratic. I assumed the router was bad, swapped it out, and same situation..

HELP!

Few other notes:

He has a network cable going out of the modem to a linksys 4 port router, this is a secure network for camera system, registers/credit card system.

I'm pretty sure you can't take advantage of the multiple IP addresses with the current modem.

If you had the net cable in the lan port then you may have been dropping connection due to ip conflicts

not entirely sure. Try assigning a different subnet to the 2nd router and using the wan on 2nd to lan on the first, For the 2nd use something like 192.168.2.1 etc. leaving dhcp on and using dns ip to match the 1st routers local ip. this should work. Latency will not be as good as you commented because of the double Nat but who cares if its just for bar goers to update FB ;p

The switch is the answer imo, since its obviously already working with the cameras, check and see if they used stips or dhcp through the switch. i think the att routers were like 192.168.1.254 or something to access the admin. Also if he has a business account check to see if he is paying for stips.

Nothing personal but you're playing with fire attempting this without knowing exactly what you're doing.
(PCI compliance)

Log into the wap, assign it an IP on the same subnet as the modem and disable dhcp. This will give wifi clients access to the LAN

Put it on a different subnet and leave on dhcp this should move your wifi clients to another subnet. But this may require some pass through settings to get the Internet from the other subnet.

IF it's a business, and they have anything of any value on their network, this is a very bad idea.

Most cities have at least one company that will come in and throw their own WiFi hotspot in (telco, chamber of commerce, ISP, etc) for cheap/free, and then you don't have to worry about Joe Nobody being able to ravage your internal network over insecure WiFi.

If not, an extra $30/month mid-speed connection is a much better idea than adding an insecure WAP to the business network.

Back