Installing a new video card

Flak Pyro

Gawd
When i order my Evga 6800 128 Mb card it will be my first time installing one of these new cards that require extra power (I have installed over cards like geforce 2's 4's before) Now i have a Sunpower 420 Watt PSU (lesser known brand but not completly generic) now it is my understanding that i need to connect a extra power connector to the Video card, could someone explain this in detail? Do all PSU's have this extra plug? Next do i need to change anything in the bios after installing my new card? What should i set the apg apreature to? I have a 64mb Geforce 4 in here right now. Other then that i assume i would just do this after that is setup:

1. first boot windows remove old drivers
2. Shurt down pc and remove old card, connect power cable
3.Adjusrt AGP apreature??
4. Boot windows and install new 61 series drivers (havnt installed the 60's yet :)
5. Benchmark and enjoy

Is that basically correct?

1 remove drivers through control panel
2 reboot into safe mode
3 cancel "found new hardware"
4 Run Driver Cleaner 3
5 shut down
6 install new card
7 reboot
8 cancel "found new hardware"
9 install new drivers
10 may have to install monitor drivers
11 run coolbits
12 setup vid card through prop page
13 start fraggin!

ah, running driver cleaner, forgot about that, i never thought you REALLY needed to do it unless you were going from ati to nvidia (vise versa) but it guess it wouldnt hurt anyway. What about on the hardware side of things with this extra cable? How do i know if i have it? Do all PSU have it?

Where do you get this "driver cleaner"? I plan on getting a new video card soon and I want to have no probs during install.

Ok i use 2 12v drive plugs correct? also if i get a 128 mb card should my agp apreature bet at 128 as well? Lastly is a 420 watt psu enough to power this card with 1 HD and a 3ghz northwood proc? (LAN and sound are onboard i have 2 cd rom drives and a floppy)

or should i get a bigger PSU?

OPUS1 said:
1 remove drivers through control panel
2 reboot into safe mode
3 cancel "found new hardware"
4 Run Driver Cleaner 3
5 shut down
6 install new card
7 reboot
8 cancel "found new hardware"
9 install new drivers
10 may have to install monitor drivers
11 run coolbits
12 setup vid card through prop page
13 start fraggin!

What is coolbits?

blykins said:
What is coolbits?

Soy based bacon product :p

No that ain't it.
Coolbits is a registry hack that enables over clocking.

"Ok i use 2 12v drive plugs correct?" Yes

"should my agp apreature bet at 128 "
Depends on system mem, but yes it's a good start you can play with it later.

"420 watt psu enough to power this card " You don't say watt brand PS. Probably yes, remember it's the amps not the watts thats important. check out the PS subforum, shocking info there :D

I have 512 mb of system memory and my the video card will be 128. I have a Sunpower PSU, i know it is not exactly a well known name but when i bought it i picked up a antec and this one and they weighed about the same (Maximum pc's tip, the heavier the better :-p) and i thought that i would never even come close to using it to its max anyway. I have been using it everyday for over a year and a half and it hasnt shown any signs of a cheap power supply. How many amps am i looking for?

Look at the side of the PS that should tell you the amps.
Start with 128 and once all is well you can play with it.

right after i posted that messaged i shut down my computer and took a look, the 12 volt plug sends only 16 amps, i was reading last night that i need something around 18 to 20? Its also a 400 watt PSU not a 420 as i origionally though, sorry to sound so n00bish here but i have never really paied too much attention to my PSU, even thought it is a important component.

Check out the PS threads in the forum, some real helpful stuff. I had an enermax 460, and switched to a PC power & Cooling 510 deluxe, amazing difference all around!

Probably ok,
I had an Enermax 460W and was pretty happy with it, But I got a PC Power & cooling 510 Deluxe and let me tell ya this puppy is rock stable!! The volts supplied to the board are better and all the rails are rock solid. Well worth the money. Your at $155.so watts (get it? :) ) another$50,00 forsome piece of mind?
Check out the PS threads in the forum here and ask you questions, real helpful.

OPUS1 said:
Soy based bacon product :p

No that ain't it.
Coolbits is a registry hack that enables over clocking.

"Ok i use 2 12v drive plugs correct?" Yes

"should my agp apreature bet at 128 "
Depends on system mem, but yes it's a good start you can play with it later.

"420 watt psu enough to power this card " You don't say watt brand PS. Probably yes, remember it's the amps not the watts thats important. check out the PS subforum, shocking info there :D

He is getting the vanilla 6800, not the ultra. Only one 12v molex connector is required for the card, not two...

and as far as hooking it up, expecially if you want to overclock, give it its own line. Put your hard drive and CD-roms on one, and the video card on another.

HA i get your watts joke (heard it in Physic class before :-p) I will have to do some looking to see if pc power and cooling will ship to canada, i also have read that they make really nice PSU's. It is good i will only need one molex connector, i felt kinda silly hooking two up for a card slightly better then a 9800 which my friend told me only has one connector. I dont plan on OCing it as i am simply a chicken :D. After this upgrade i will probably be getting a new system, this one will have:
3ghz p4 northwood 533 FSB
Asus P4PE
512 - 1gb pc 2700 (have 512 now and will sooner or later get another 512)
120 GB western digital hard drive with 8mb cache
1 cdrom drive
1 burner
1 floppy
onboard sound and LAN
1 USR 56k v.90 modem

Is should i get the 550 or will the 480 do? My next pc spending spree will be a new pc as this one will be passed down to my linux box and my current linux box gets retired.

I would get someting by PC Power and Cooling. There a bit more, but worth it. My 450W Turbocool is the smartest computer investment I made...had it running 12 hard drives like a dream at one point....

Back