Installing a new mobo... do I need to reinstall the OS?

rpeters83

Gawd
I plan on upgrading my PC to a new mobo (intel to intel). Once everything is swapped out, do I need to reinstall my current OS or will it work normally with the new board (and intel CPU)? Thanks.

You're best bet is always to do a fresh install, and most computer enthusiasts wouldn't do it any other way, simply because it is a new setup. You didn't even mention what OS you are using, so we can only guess. Vista is much more forgiving, in terms of a hardware swap, than XP. However, I'd still strongly suggest doing a fresh install. It is always an option, and doesn't take that long.

You're best bet is always to do a fresh install, and most computer enthusiasts wouldn't do it any other way, simply because it is a new setup. You didn't even mention what OS you are using, so we can only guess. Vista is much more forgiving, in terms of a hardware swap, than XP. However, I'd still strongly suggest doing a fresh install. It is always an option, and doesn't take that long.
well here's the story. I'm using Windows 2008 server 32-bit. The purpose of the mobo/cpu swap is to put in more RAM and use the fresh 64-bit version. I can back up all my stuff anyway, but was hoping the 32-bit OS would work still as a dual-boot. Not a killer if it can't, it would just be the safer option for me.

Pretty sure going from 32bit to 64bit requires a reinstall either way. For dual booting purposes, yes it'll probably work, but you'll have to reinstall drivers and all that. And if its an OEM copy you'll have to reregister.

I would def. do a fresh install if you can. I will say though, that I have installed mobo's with identical chipset's and have had ZERO problems doing what you are asking.

keeping the 32-bit OS was more as a back-up in case anything goes wrong. This is for a work machine so I want to be on the safe side. The 32-bit OS will be wiped anyway once the hew 64-bit install goes well.

keeping the 32-bit OS was more as a back-up in case anything goes wrong.
You could always create a disk image and go back to your old hardware if needed, but the x64 game didn't just roll into town. It's been the norm for a few years now, so you aren't likely to find any compatibility issues, unless you are using some unique software.

I got lucky when I changed MB and CPU.There was no need to update.Cranked it up and it ran without a problem one.Went from MSI to Asus MB.

Back