• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Installing a new IDE hard drive.

Aceharding

n00b
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
28
Alright guys, new poster here. So don't be too rough on me alright? :)

I'm going to install a new WD 250 GB IDE Drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144309

I have this Asus Motherboard:
http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Motherboards/Asus-A7N8X-X/

I have a 70 GB IDE Drive installed already onto it.

Question is, where do I connect the HD to?
Should I connect it to the existing Hard Drive's ribbon?
Should I plug it in the motherboard's secondary IDE Drive? (The Black one if you see the picture)

If I do connect it to the existing hard drive's ribbon, I can't, since it's already connected to my DVD drive. Since if I do connect both of them, where do I connect my DVD drive to?

After I hook it up and start up the computer, will Windows automatically detect it and I can start filling it up with junk?
 
You can connect the hard drive to either place.

If you wanted both of the hard drives on the same IDE cable, you would plug the DVD drive into the other IDE port.

After Windows boots up, you will have to format the hard drive.
1. Double click on MyComputer
2. Right click on the drive and click format
3. Select NTFS as the filesystem. Use the default allocation size. Pick a name that you like.
4. Click start
5. Wait for it to finish.
 
The suggested setup is both hard drives on one cable on one channel of the IDE controller, and the DVD-ROM on the other channel on a seperate cable. The DVD drive is quite slow by hard drive standards, so its interface probably only runs at ATA/66 as opposed to ATA/100 or ATA/133 for the drives. So isolating it from the faster devices is a good thing, lest it slow them down.

 
No. IDE channels run at one rate, and they have to slow down to match the slowest device or the slow device won't be able to talk at all. With sata it's not an issue, as all connections are point-to-point, so in that sense it's fixed, but parallel IDE devices are still "broken" in that sense.
 
Back
Top