Installing a motherboard

vixer

Limp Gawd
I have a motherboard on the way. Should be arriving in a day or two. I've been reading sites on how to install it, etc. I have thermal paste and I have an idea on how to put in the CPU from old motherboard to new one. I've never installed one before.

Any last minute tips or things I need to know when I install it? Also, will I have to dig into the bios once it's installed and do anything?

Thx!

My advice - always connect the chassiss cable first, before screwing down the mobo, so you can actually see if they are rightly connected. I always mess those reset/power/hdd led cables, no matter on board, chassis or whatever else :D

Well, you will need to go to bios to set up clock enable/disable audio - if you have additional sound card it's good to set it on disable, also choose the boot priority. You will propably be doing clean install of OS, so you need to be able to boot from CD first, so OS can start from disk.

And you really should backup your data from primary partition/HDD to another one, as clean OS install (with format) is really recommended when switching partitions.

Just a small tip, make sure you test the motherboard before you install in the case and don't forget to install the standoffs in the correct holes on the motherboard tray to prevent a short. You may have to adjust some memory settings in the bios, but it's hard to know without knowing what components you're using.

If you are going to run it to make sure it works well not in the case, do it on a table or something, not on carpet, and always make sure to touch something metal thats grounded cuse its pretty easy to give something a shock that you shouldnt

Are you replacing a motherboard that died or just upgrading?

If the old motherboard still works then boot up into Windows and run sysprep. This will make a smooth transaction to the new motherboard. This is important especially if you change chipset.

Heres a guide on sysprep:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=772307

Are you replacing a motherboard that died or just upgrading?

If the old motherboard still works then boot up into Windows and run sysprep. This will make a smooth transaction to the new motherboard. This is important especially if you change chipset.

Heres a guide on sysprep:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=772307

Thanks everyone that has replied.

I'm replacing old mobo that is dead, and installing new one. Trust me, old one is dead (Monster energy drink got it good).

I'm good not to reformat right? I'm being sent same mobo, and my vista copy is OEM. I was never sent a CD for installing windows, but I have the serial they gave me taped to computer.

You'll be fine if it's a strait replacement. Just take your time and do everything slowly.

I'm good not to reformat right? I'm being sent same mobo, and my vista copy is OEM. I was never sent a CD for installing windows, but I have the serial they gave me taped to computer.
Since you're replacing it with the same board, you don't have to reformat or sysprep or anything. It should be good to go as soon as you hook it up.

Installed it after 2 hours of computer surgery. Comps in the recovery room now.

Everything looks good. Thanks everyone :D Hope nothing happens and it runs smooth, hah

Back