Installing 2k in place of XP; warning messages

videobruce

Limp Gawd
I want to install 2k in place of XP Pro on the 1st partition of a HDD. When doing so, I get warning messages regarding the disk being new, erased or a incompatable O/S already there.

I didn't go further since the 2nd partition has valuable data on it and I didn't want to take a chance. I'm doing this to troubleshoot a serial port issue with XP and have already imaged the 1st partition. The 2nd partition is very large and I don't have a place to put it.
I have run Chk. Disc with no errors on both partitions.

I also have a 2nd HDD, but I disconnected that durning this process. Could that have some effect?

Ideas?

If you don't have a method of backing up your data, then you should not be trying to replace the OS, especially with an older one. There are two many variables that can go wrong and cause you to lose your data. If the first drive has two separate, primary partitions, you should be able to clear the first partition and install 2K, but your data is still going to be at risk. If you created an extended partition, I wouldn't try it at all. Considering the low cost of the drives, and the obvious importance of your data, pick up an external USB drive and back up your data.

Method yes (as stated), room to do so, no (as stated). Most of the space are DVD's.

Back