• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Installed XP-90C, worked fine now dead system - help!

gazza_new

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 20, 2005
Messages
162
This morning I installed the XP-90C cooler to my P4! On boot up I was getting 33C idle with 40C under load and was a major improvement from my old temps. After about an hour of use, I got a blue-screen of physical dump etc!

I rebooted and as soon as the windows logon was about to appear, it blue screened again with a problem on ntfs.dll. I swapped the memory sticks between banks and then it booted into windows again but blue-screened about a minute later.

I switched the RAM again, but then the system wouldn't boot at all, no screen at all! I tried the 2nd and 3rd bank on their own and it booted saying my CPU clock speed was incorrectly set before and it had reset them!

It then booted into windows saying a file was corrupt and to repair with the Windows CD. I put the windows CD in and rebooted, but it said It couldn't boot the cd-rom!

Rebooted again and now the system is dead, powers on but nothing appears on screen! What have I done? I've tried the memory from another system and still no boot!

Any ideas?
 
My first guess would be that your IDE cable would have come loose. Are your HDD and CD drives on the same cable? First your HDD is not found, then almost, then your CD is not found. Go thru and reseat all of your connections. Maybe you knocked something loose during your HS install.
 
sac_tagg said:
Reseat HSF, clear CMOS, report back.

Well I had already tried that. Thought the whole thing was knackered so I took the mobo out and put back the stock fan and heatsink! Powered up and it booted fine and as of yet, no blue screen! VERY WEIRD!
 
..if it was an Athlon XP - a chipped core can cause such a behaviour... but I don't think you could crack the core on that P4 :p
 
Well system has been running fine for a few hours now! I really can't figure out why I had odd problems with the new cooler! Do you reckon it was too heavy and was shorting something?
 
supposedly the temp were good though. is it possible that the weight of the heatsink warped the board enough to mess up a connection somewhere? maybe a weak solder point? definetely an odd case
 
fluxion said:
supposedly the temp were good though. is it possible that the weight of the heatsink warped the board enough to mess up a connection somewhere? maybe a weak solder point? definetely an odd case

Yeah I guess that was the case! I'm not planning to use the XP-90c for my P4, It's actually for my AMD next week but cuz I was bored I thought i'd give it a test now! Least it performs well!
 
Back
Top