Installed Windows Home Server - AntiVirus Software Question...

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
Removed Win2K3 from my server last night and installed Windows Home Server.

No hickups, other than I forgot that machine only had a CD drive and had to go to BB and buy a DVD LOL

I was a bit worried about my 3Ware 9500S-8 SATA RAID Controller, but there was no need. It came up yellow in the Device Manager, so I went to update the driver and WHS went to Windows update, found the driver, and installed it

All six 300GB drives instantlly came online, and I was able to add the 6 drives to the pool right away.

Six 300GB drives and the 120GB boot drive netted a 1.75TB pool.

The backup system is amazingly simple. I installed the connector on three machines, and it simply backed them all up. Three machines only took 80GB of space due to it's intelligent use of the drive pool and the backup system.

Now I need to experiment with moving my User folders to it and setting up the replication for redundancy.

Now, my question.

What are people using for AntiVirus software on WHS? Just the standard NOD32/Symantec/etc ? Or do I need an "Add-In".

I use Nod32 on my 2k3 server. Since WHS is built off of 2k3 server (at least from what I've read) I would hazard a guess that Nod32 would work. You can hit up Eset sales or try the 30 day trial.

I use NOD32 on my desktop. Maybe they will let me add a license cheaply :)

I've heard that you must disable the INET portion of NOD32 or it will cause issues on server, especially WHS.

Larry,

Did you install WHS on your Asus A8V box? If so, I could use some advice, since I've spent four days doing 19 different installs without success>

Actually, no. That A8V is my dedicated online racing machine.

I installed WHS on an old ABIT IT7-MAX 2 system that was previously my Win2K3 server.

Other than having to have WHS download and install the driver for the 3Ware 9500S-8 card, I had no installation issues at all and had a green-board in the device manager.

What kind of issues are you having?

One thing to keep in mind is that WHS allows no modification of the install path. It will install on the drive reported as drive 0 by the BIOS, period.

Larry,

Did you install WHS on your Asus A8V box? If so, I could use some advice, since I've spent four days doing 19 different installs without success>

The problem relates to the driver for the chipset controller that manages the hard drives. During install it says that the storage device is not recognized and asks for a driver. I've tried every combination of driver for the Promise 378 and the VIA VT8237 controllers and I can sometimes get past this point, have it format the drive, copy the installation files, reboot and then as it's finalizing the installation while it's loading files it craps out and returns a \$WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\win2003\ulsata.sys could not be loaded. Error code is 14. If I try different drivers, it give the same error except for the driver name part.
I've tried the win2003, xp, etc. versions of the various drivers.

BTW, which online racing games are you in to? I'm occasionally on with TOCA3 and GTLegends

Steve,

See PM.... :)

The problem relates to the driver for the chipset controller that manages the hard drives. During install it says that the storage device is not recognized and asks for a driver. I've tried every combination of driver for the Promise 378 and the VIA VT8237 controllers and I can sometimes get past this point, have it format the drive, copy the installation files, reboot and then as it's finalizing the installation while it's loading files it craps out and returns a \$WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\win2003\ulsata.sys could not be loaded. Error code is 14. If I try different drivers, it give the same error except for the driver name part.
I've tried the win2003, xp, etc. versions of the various drivers.

BTW, which online racing games are you in to? I'm occasionally on with TOCA3 and GTLegends

Back