Installed Win7 and lost internet connection

northrop

grumman
I'll try to make this quick.

Decided to install Win7 Ultimate 64-bit tonight. I've been running RC1 since it was released and had no problems with it, so i figured why not. Only now, I have no internet on said computer.

I have a DSL line. Between the modem and the computer, sits the Linksys WRT54G router. All lights are green on both the modem and the router. The wireless internet works (i'm typing this on my laptop). But my stationary PC, which is directly plugged into the router cannot connect to the internet.

When I try to connect the PC directly to the modem, the Ethernet light on the modem goes off. Trying to enter modem's configuration page at 192.168.0.1 gives me a blank page. Same thing happens when the computer is connected via router. Attempting to acces router's page, 198.168.1.1 also gives me a blank page. I thought that maybe I got the address wrong, but typing ipconfg/all in command prompt doesn't return anything. :confused:

Clicking "troubleshoot problems" on the connection icon, returns me with a message "install a driver for your network adapter" - that doesn't help.

Also, this happened AFTER i restarted my computer after installation. Before the restart, I was able to connect and download all the updates, and drivers, and what not. But then I had to restart my computer and everything went to hell.

Any clues why my PC can't connect to the internet? this is a bit frustrating. :mad:

for one thing, in the device manager i get a little explanation mark next to my Network Adapters. i have no installation CD

in the Action Center, all i see is "you have lost your connection to the Internet. Try to connect again"

and it takes me back to "Install drivers for your Network Adapter". only problem is... those routers don't have drivers, and I should be able to access the 192.168.1.1 page.. but i can't

edit: motherboard drivers are up to date.

The router doesn't need drivers. The onboard NIC does. Sounds like you there was an updated driver for the NIC that didn't load properly. Use the laptop to find the network card drivers for your MB, download then try to reinstall them.

this is the latest driver from nvidia:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_win764_15.51.html

and according to this, those drivers are included in here. but that still didn't help.

edit:
Manually overwrote the default drivers with those listed above, but the exclamation mark next to the Network Adapter is still there.

Last edited:
Those are the same chipset drivers for my sig rig and they work fine. In fact you shouldn't even need these drivers as a default install of 7 has NIC drivers for nVidia chipset motherboards. What motherboard do you have?

evga 680i.

Something must have gone wrong somewhere. Like I said, it was working fine up until I restarted a computer. For what's it worth, I've decided to do another clean install right now. If all goes well, this should fix the problem. If not, then I'll have a long day ahead of me.

edit: nope... clean install didn't help at all. still having the same problem.

Last edited:
Do you have a spare NIC you can put in that machine? Have you checked the BIOS to make sure somehow the nic hasn't been disabled? I realize it shouldn't be but you never know and it looks like all the logical ideas are failing.

How about actually clearing the BIOS altogether and then choosing optimized for the settings. See if that does anything. You definitely stumbled across a strange one thats for sure.

Can you give a complete rundown of the hardware as well including any O/Cing.

You definitely stumbled across a strange one thats for sure.

Riddle me this. I unplugged all my storage HD's, and rebooted the PC. After that, a welcome screen greeted me with "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, and NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2 have been installed." And now everything is working fine.

Since when does unplugging your storage drives fixes network problems? :confused: Don't get me wrong, this is great news for me... but it kinda raises more questions than it answers.

It sounds like Win 7 was attempting to install drivers and register the drives and while doing so it got "confused". Perhaps you did not give it long enough up time to perform the tasks?!? I know when I first installed and then hooked up my USB devices and 4 extra HDD's I had an indicator in the system tray that let me know it was installing drivers. It took much longer than I thought it should but I imagine it was searching the internet for latest and greatest WHQL drivers.

I'm grasping at straws. :)

Last edited:
Back