Installed Vista, won't recognise burnt DVD-Rs

LynxFX

Gawd
I finally made the plunge and got Vista x64. So far everything seems to be working alright, except for any data DVD-R. Whenever I stick one in that has a bunch of data, Vista sees it is a new blank disc. A friend said he heard something similar before but doing a quick google search I couldn't find anything. I have a dozen or so DVD-R's with my data backed up on and I can't read any one of them.

Any ideas?

No I haven't, but something I forgot to mention, it did work once. I first installed Vista on a spare drive to make sure the software I use the most worked such as my editing program. I copied a project over from a DVD-R with that setup. Reinstalled Vista on my main drive and now it doesn't work. I didn't do anything different during the install.

I'll still check to see if there are any firmware updates though.

Updated the firmware, still no go. Now it just spins the DVD-R's forever. Any other disc works though including burnt CD's.

It is a samsung duallayer burner. Possible that the drive died, or is it just not playing nice with Vista?

You may want to try removing it from Device Manager and rebotting so that Windows can re-install it. Sometimes that will take care of some issues.

Also have you tried (with the media in) right clicking on your drive and choosing explore?

What did program did you use to backup your data in? Did it do the backup in UDF format? If so, did you close the session?

If any of this sounds familiar, please reinstall your data-backup program. Roxio and Nero BackItUp comes to mind here.

--
woomis

It was with Nero 7, DVD-ROM (ISO) compilation, not UDF. Nero is also installed on Vista.

I'll just try reinstalling everything, drive and software.

Back